What happened to the Manage Currencies link

steveg242
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I'm blind but suddenly I can no longer find the "Manage Currencies" link.  If I want to put some money into my euro balance, for example, it was easy, just click on "Manage Currencies" and make the exchange.  I logged in today and I can't find the link anywhere.  Has the layout changed?  How do I get to that now?

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

xrefluxx
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem! Fortunately, I found an old link to the "manage currencies" page in my history. Maybe it is of help to one of you: Manage Currencies (dtuch link).

Login to Me Too

DarkAvenger
Contributor
Contributor

Is the Manage Currencies link still working for anyone else? It was until 22 May, 2019 in Australia as I checked it then around 21:00 AEST to check PayPal's AUD to GBP rate so sometime after that, maybe after midnight?, it's stopped working as the link now just automatically changes in the address bar to /myaccount/money/. I normally use Safari, but I tried on Chrome and the same thing happens. Does anyone have a new link that still points to the old 'Manage Currencies' page - assuming it still exists?

Login to Me Too

reyangelo
Contributor
Contributor

It is missing on my end too. Seems like there was an update hours ago because the Summary layout also changed and the 3-buttons beside each currencies are not working.

Login to Me Too

mrhosx
Contributor
Contributor

the same problem , but I've email them and they replied that 

"we recently conducted a system upgrade. In the process, some of our customers are unable to downgrade their account.

We assure you that our technical support team is diligently and actively working to resolve this matter the soonest possible time.

We will notify you immediately once the update has been completed."

Login to Me Too

jsljustin
Contributor
Contributor

The option to view currencies in paypal has been missing / unavailable for quite a while now. The only workaround that I can suggest is finding a good live estimate of the currency pair you wish to convert to/from, then subtract approx 3 cents to give you a rough estimate that paypal would use. This method is pretty accurate no matter if I am converting to USD or EUR.

For example, if the product I want to buy is in USD, then say the AUD to USD live rate is 0.6958, then I subtract 0.03 from that, to give me a live rate of 0.6658. This also works for other more highly valued currencies, e.g. taking 3 cents off the EUR works pretty well also.

Login to Me Too

DarkAvenger
Contributor
Contributor

The option to view the currencies in PayPal hasn't been missing for a while now. It actually only went missing on  22 May 2019 so only five days ago, when they ran an update/upgrade to the site. Prior to this the page has always been there, but when PayPal did their last major update, which resulted in the current look, they simply removed the link to the 'Manage Currencies' page, but the page was still actually there as some people discovered. If you knew the page URL you could simply manually enter it in the address bar and go straight to it. The URL being: https://www.paypal.com/nl/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-currencies.

Login to Me Too

jsljustin
Contributor
Contributor

No, that may apply if you have a balance in your paypal account, but if you just want to find out the currency exchange rate without a balance, you can't.

If you bothered to read any of this thread, you will find this option I am referring to has been removed at least since July of 2018, and if you read this thread you will find that this option that everyone else is referring to is only available in business accounts.

Login to Me Too

DarkAvenger
Contributor
Contributor

I'm amazed you received a reply that actually answered your question! When I've emailed PayPal in the past, their replys would always have nothing to do with whatever I was asking! I'd reply back saying so, only for then to reply back saying "Unfortunately we are unable to assist you any further". I'm not really sure what PayPal mean by "Some of our customers are unable to downgrade their account"? Do they mean some 'Personal' accounts were upgraded to 'Business' in the update? and what would that have to do with the issue at hand of the 'Manage Currencies' page disappearing? My account has not been 'upgraded' in any way! At any rate I guess we'll see if the page returns when their technical team "resolve the matter".

Login to Me Too

DarkAvenger
Contributor
Contributor

In regards to workarounds, a viable solution is to go to 'Send & Request', choose a recipient. Then enter the target currency. I normally enter either GBP 100.00 or USD 100.00 if I want to know what a purchase will cost in my home currency of AUD, e.g. PayPal is currently showing GBP 100.00 = AUD 192.75 and the rate displayed is 0.5188. Obviously don't go ahead with sending the money! The only issues with this workaround are you must already have at least one contact, but the recipient doesn't have to be in the same country you wish to send money to so it can be any payee in your  list. The other thing is the displayed exchange rate is rounded up to the cents, i.e. to two decimal places whereas the rate displayed on 'Manage Currencies' was/is to four decimal places, which I really prefer.

Another workaround, though much less precise, is to simply take three points off the 'spot' or 'live' rate. I normally use 'XE' and I have two charts set up - one for AUD to GBP and one for AUD to USD. I just checked the rate for AUD to GBP and it was showing 0.54625. If one takes 3 points of that rate to give 0.51625 you'll see it's close to PayPal's rate of 0.5188. Of course keep in mind the spot rate changes every 30 sec! and PayPal's rate only updates once every 24 hours! and the spot rate could wildly go up or down during the time between PayPal's update, but under normal circumstances, PayPal's rate is generally around 3 points lower than the spot rate.

Login to Me Too

DarkAvenger
Contributor
Contributor

I need to make a small correction - the rate displayed in 'Manage Currencies' is/was actually to 6 decimal places, which is a lot more accurate than the 4 decimal places shown in 'Send & Receive'. If PayPal could/would change the rate displayed in 'Send & Receive' to 6 decimal places that would certainly fix my requirements.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.