Weird transaction

GlenStobbs
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone had a transaction that went to someone who is not the intended recipient, and when checking, finding that the email address is different (@putlook rather than @Outlook). I was standing next to the intended recipient, and he definitely did not receive the payment. He also cannot verify his phone number - I wonder if this could be because the 'other recipient' has it tied to their account .......

PayPal refusing to assist, saying it was authorised

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GlenStobbs 

Was the payment sent to an email address or to a phone number? If the payment is sent to the wrong person, you must contact the person via the email address on the payment for a refund. If they refuse, you must open a dispute (not Unauthorized Payment as you indeed sent the payment) but some other reason or option that's is available (ie. Item Not Received).

Sometimes, I wonder if people think that just by adding the number to their PayPal account, that the number works because not only do one have to add it but also have to confirm that it works with a text, just like we have to add AND confirm an email address. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

GlenStobbs
Contributor
Contributor

Ended up being an incorrect email address that was corrected more than 24 hours before I sent the money (and before a previos send), but when this payment was sent, I guess the server that did the transaction had not been updated with the amended email address. A similar attempt to send the same payment yesterday went to the amended email address, but was refused (and refunded) because he never received the email to accept the payment. 

Yes, it was sent to a telephone number (that was correct, but which could not be verified for some reason)

It seems to be resolved now (human intervention and persistence prevailed!)

@sharpiemarker wrote:

@GlenStobbs 

Was the payment sent to an email address or to a phone number? If the payment is sent to the wrong person, you must contact the person via the email address on the payment for a refund. If they refuse, you must open a dispute (not Unauthorized Payment as you indeed sent the payment) but some other reason or option that's is available (ie. Item Not Received).

Sometimes, I wonder if people think that just by adding the number to their PayPal account, that the number works because not only do one have to add it but also have to confirm that it works with a text, just like we have to add AND confirm an email address. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.