Walgreens Can't Figure Out Adding Money To Account From PayPal Mobile App Barcode

TSL2018
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

Has anyone had issues with Walgreens or Dollar General when it comes to adding money to your PayPal account via in the store going to the app and generating a barcode? I have had this happen to me twice now and it's infuriating. Wal-Mart is the only retailer that  can apparently understand and do this correctly by scanning or typing in the bar-code at their register then taking their fee plus the payment amount. Walgreens still insists that I use their cash card from PayPal to this.  If that is true when this question is for PayPal, why is this available then on the app? Why didn't your app development and support team think of this when adding Walgreens and Dollar General to your list of available retailers for the functionality?

And the second question is why doesn't your app or relations team ensure stores are able to do this without the card? There is nothing in the description of the app that stores may not be able to collect via the bar-code that is dependent on policies. As for me I understand the process and do this often with Wal-Mart but their money center locations have different hours some close as early as 8:00 pm making Walgreen's for example a great choice for this. You all need to review this policy with your authorized retailers and if they are unable to they should be removed from the list. If you need beta testing or an advocate for more info please reach out. And also if someone can steer me to another post similar please guide it to me and my apologies for the additional post similar.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

Falconlee
New Community Member
Yessss! This is very frustrating... It makes me wanna jump behind the counter and do it myself. Something needs to be done. They're missing out on $$$. I guess paypal doesn't care because they figure we'll just wait til morning or go to another store... That may be true, but it reminds me how paypal is not as reliable as they seem. In my town CVS can do it. Not walmart or Walgreens... SUCKS!
Login to Me Too

Zoey_Purrs
New Community Member
I've also had the same issue with Walgreens, and occasionally with CVS; depending on who my cashier happens to be, and how competent they are. For the most part though, CVS is where I usually go to add my cash to my account. Since I only have one last option and that's 7-11, but it's really not in a very convenient location, far out of my way, and the employees don't really like dealing with that sort of thing. (franchises...?(does 7-11 even franchise?)) Sure seems so. The Walgreens consistently demands that the only way to add money to a PayPal account is using those outdated PayPal cash cards (that the store in question doesn't even sell anymore by the way) My partner eventually was able to get them to be able to scan the barcode and use the feature like it's supposed to be used. Unfortunately, they don't have an i.d. right now at all, so after all the trouble they went to, to get them to scan the barcode and do it all right.. they ended up not letting him add the cash because it was like over $250 or whatever their stupid limit is before they demand identification. Which is so stupid because the person is depositing money into an account. It's not like they are being given money or anything. I can't think of a single reason why having an i.d. is required to deposit money. I mean it's either youre putting money in your own account; or youre giving someone else money... Anyway sorry lol, I'm done ranting. That cashier just made me really mad. It like just happened an hour ago.
Login to Me Too

TSL2018
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am sorry this happened to you as well. This needs to go to the PayPal admins and who is in charge of this. Because if the app provides you with a code at the retailer and all the retailer is doing is punching in that code, taking the cash and the fee they charge and that's it? Why do you offer this at these retailers when Walmart is the only place that knows how to do this without the PayPal cash card? If that is the case you should make this an exclusive to Walmart only then and this isn't a promo for Walmart because I am not a huge fan of them, but I will say their money department is on it. 

Login to Me Too

Metaman1
New Community Member

% just had this exact same frustration.  Walgreens cashier said I had to hold my card or phone to the checkout device and I told them that didnt make any sense as I dont have a paypal card.  I showed them the barcode that literally says "tell the cashier to scan this barcode" and they told me that it was against store policy and they will not scan any barcode from a phone.  They seemed super confused about everything.  They kept saying that it wasnt safe for them and regardless of me slowly explaining that I'm putting money INTO paypal, not trying to pay WITH paypal it was a fruitless effort.  I told them they need to resolve their company/store policies with the agreements walgreens made with Paypal.  Paypal doesnt get a sponsored, logo'd icon in their app without Walgreens signing up to take part.  If they are instructing their stores to not honor the deposit barcodes, the entire premise of them taking part in the process is 100% pointless.  Simple frustration...far too frustrating to attempt to resolve with a local walgreens but the association makes paypal look bad as they are not in sync with their partners.

Login to Me Too

Selena3499
New Community Member
This happened to me today! I went to Walgreens and they had no idea what I was talking about and the manager said that they are told to never scan phones. They probably thought I was making stuff up. They made zero effort to solve the issue. As of right now Walmart is the only place that knows what they’re doing somewhat.
Login to Me Too

Rigsreco
Contributor
Contributor
I work at Walgreens as a assistant manager and I can verify that you can add cash to your PayPal account at the store. The problem seems to be that this is not something that is properly communicated to stores and managers from corporate. We had a similar issue with Alipay which was launched some time ago as a method of payment. We only got materials for the launch of Alipay a month or two ago. But there were no emails from corporate about it. We also regularly get communications from other stores asking about PayPal cash and they have no idea about this. They’ve declined many customers as such. This is apparently because corporate has send a memo about not scanning bar codes on phones due to fraud where customers photoshop paper manufacturer coupon barcodes onto Walgreens app pass and the store is left with no paper certificate to redeem with the manufacturer.
Login to Me Too

SirSwapper
Contributor
Contributor
I came to a Walgreens in Provo Utah yesterday and I had a barcode for them to scan to add $80 to my account The kid working the counter told me they do not do that of course which I had done at four or five different times at the same location only to have him asked me to swipe my card so when I swiped my card it printed a receipt and I left because it normally takes about 15 minutes to put the funds on my account. The next day they still are not on my account I've talked to the manager the Walgreens several times I've been talking to PayPal all day and they both seem to point the finger to each other. In the meantime I'm out $84 because someone can't figure out how to do things properly whether it's one side or the other I don't know but they're not the ones missing the money I am. I have no idea how to resolve this at this point they're just basically telling me talk to the other person. very very frustrating and disappointing the retailers can get away with this type of behavior and in the meantime no one has a single answer for me is to where my $84 went. All I know is it never wound up on my account and I basically gave it away to someone else
Login to Me Too

STEELblue
Contributor
Contributor
When they get to a screen that prompts them to press “universal input” tell the person DO NOT PRESS IT, this takes them to a screen tha t asks the customer to swipe PayPal card. When they get to universal input they should just swipe the bar code on your phone with their reader gun. Everything should be easy from there.
Login to Me Too

NamX69
New Community Member

I went to a Walgreen's yesterday and the manager on duty flat out told me that they dont do it and other Walgreen's wont accept it either.  Even when I showed him on the app with the Walgeen's logo on it.  It almost seemed like he just didnt want to do it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.