Unable to buy cryptocurrency with linked bank account and debit card

gwilliamsr
Contributor
Contributor
Any idea why PayPal is not allowing me to buy bitcoins via my linked bank account and debit card? I get this message “... linked to your PayPal account but can’t be used to purchase crypto”
Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

Cryptoqueen2
Same here
Login to Me Too

Temp20230525EZ
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this same problem.  I was able to purchase Crypto with my debit and now it's saying it's not an accepted form of payment.

Login to Me Too

SK1966DM

I'm having the same problems with my Royal Bank of Scotland account Debit Card and Apple Pay on my iphone that's linked to my debit card.

I can't make a transaction for love nor money.

First of all I thought I was going in way too high (ie, $2,000) ... so I reduced it a bit a time until I got down to about $200 .... still no joy.

I even had text messages from the banks fraud team asking me to confirm that it was me trying to make the transaction. To which I replied YES and they responded with another message thanking me for confirming it and telling me that I was now clear to try again.

Then I had other messages telling me to go to my banking app to approve the payment which I did several times and still had no joy.

Eventually, my actual current account on my banking app completely disappeared ... so I phoned the bank using the number on the back of my debit card and they told me that my account had been locked due to 'Moonpay' being on high fraud alert (that's who I was trying to put the transaction through).

They told me that the only way to unlock the account was to go to the nearest branch of the bank with photo ID and a recent utility bill to confirm my identity. What a massive ballache ... 

Incidentally, I also tried putting the transaction through 'Simplex' and 'Binance' and had no joy with these two either.

So anyway, after confirming my identity in person at the bank (within an hour of being told about it), the cashier then told me that I needed to ring the fraud team back within the next 2 hours and they would unlock the account. 

So I did just that and they told me that I was ready to to go.

Tried again ... no joy !!!! several attempts ... still no joy !!!

And given I recently finished watching the series 'STARTUP' on Netflix recently .... I'm wondering if the bank is preventing me from making the purchase on purpose.

If you haven't watched 'STARTUP' yet, watch it ... it's really good .... and then you'll know why I'm beginning to think this way.

Yours, completely frustrated ...

Steve

Login to Me Too

NYDavid
Contributor
Contributor
Same here. Absolutely frustrating.
Login to Me Too

Goldensunrise
New Community Member

I linked my Debit Card and tried a number of times this morning to buy Crypto...but the message says this card can't be used- try another card.

It's frustrating- Maybe Customer Service can help.

Login to Me Too

nosajco
Contributor
Contributor

It’s a scam to generate extra fees from multiple low value transactions.

Login to Me Too

mynameispeter
Contributor
Contributor
My debit card was ok from September 21 for purchasing crypto but I tried today but it constantly refuses this card for payment method. Decided to pay by bank transfer it refused my bank account for payment. What's going on here PayPal please fix this otherwise I have no alternative to close my account with PayPal and take my business elsewhere
Login to Me Too

Tiltobeurito

I just went through this. I called the bank several times until I found one gentleman that actually knew what he was doing! Ask your bank to call VISA and see if they (VISA) "restricted" the account. The bank will not see the restriction UNTIL they reach out to Visa. Hope this helps. My bank was TD. This was the same scenario I found myself in~ Goodluck 

Login to Me Too

Gman85uk
This isn't going to shed any light on the matter, intact it will **bleep** you off more than anything. Simply put, it's a weird glitch in the matrix neo, you should of followed the black rabbit and boshed the blue n red pill at the same time. It possibly would have worked!?!! Seriously now, I have/had same issue. But now and again the problem goes?! So....today I got paid, I have tried to buy BTC before but card wasn't activated lol. So added card successfully, but didn't show. I changed amount from 40 to 20 then my bank accounts showed up randomly. Went back a page, then clicked buy, and nothing apart from add card or bank. Clicked add bank and closed asap and clicked buy the closed quickly. Changed amount from £100 to £20 n hit backspace then buy bitcoin, changed to£10 then add card an closed asap, changed from £10 to £20 and I cant say why or how but the option was there for bank and debit card??!! I clicked and it went through!!!!! Wtf???? This isn't a joke or something, I'm not spending all this time explaining this for nothing!!! I managed to buy another 20 of BTC without a problem at all 5 mins later too??? But now? I cant get the bug to replicate again?! I've managed to get bank accounts showing 1 or 2 times but even entered card as new and it said it cant b used??? WELL IT WAS PAYPAL.....TWICE!!! not sure how, but I thought I would see if someone had figured the glitch sequence out? Nah
Login to Me Too

ResidentPrime
New Community Member

It's something with paypal

My account was showing all my debit cards for crypto purchases then I changed my email address to a new one tonight and POOF, now I get none of my cards or verified bank accounts are able to purchase crypto.

I have used them before like all of you

I can get the bug to pop up with the app but most of the time it just gives me that orange triangle error saying they cant process it now.

So yeah, for no reason, all my payment methods that were working and showing up yesterday for crypto suddenly disappeared and I have to use a bug and keep changing amounts to get them to show up (and funny that when the bug works my bank accounts show up)

I just said F it and I'll use a exchange that will let me buy whatever crypto I want, not just 3 types.  I wont use coinbase since they are a-holes, paybis works every time and their rates are cheap enough but this is BS how crazy crypto works on paypal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.