UNABLE TO ACCEPT FUNDS;

mukandaj
Contributor
Contributor

I opened my account in 2014 while in Kenya but paypal's sign up options then did not have Kenya but US. I have been using the account to pay for online services etc.

Fast forward....I received some funds but now they are stuck in the account since I am in Kenya but the account is registered as US. Linking bank is an issue since it requires Routing number which Kenyan banks lack but have swift code instead. Linking MPESA is not possible since the account alerts that the service is for Kenya only and not the US. Any assistance will be super helpful.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mukandaj 

You would have had the option from the drop down list to open a paypal account in any of the 200 countries where paypal operates and which Kenya was included back in 2014.

Its against paypal rules to use another countries paypal account and you would not be able to receive funds or withdraw them from another countries paypal account.

If they have not been accepted in your balance then they should go back to the senders at 30 days post payment and then they can pay again to a paypal account opened in your own country.

If they are in your balance then the senders may have to open disputes for non receipt of item which you do not counter to get their funds back before paying you again.     

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mukandaj
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the response. However, it is not helpful in any way. Would I have chosen US if Kenya was there🤦‍♂️! No. Case scenario of Sony PS account, there is no Kenya on the drop down when setting up which prompts us to select other countries. It was a similar case then as much as it was that paypal is functional in Kenya in 2014, the sign up drop down never had it. I understand the policies that govern accounts in different regional borders. I will have to find a way regardless.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mukandaj 

Ignoring the fact of whether it was or was not available. IF it wasn't then you shouldn't have tried to open another countries paypal account as its against paypal rules to do that. If Paypal is not available in your country then you are not allowed to use it until it is.

You went against paypals rules and opened a U.S paypal account and now unfortunately you have found out it will never work for you in accepting and withdrawing funds.

Like my advice or not the only options you have available I have already posted in the last 2 sentences in my first post to you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.