Trap for eBay seller? Scam?

QLDer
Contributor
Contributor

I'm an individual eBay seller. I received this offer for buy it now price that wants me to ship to UK. And I'm happy that the item got sold. 

Then is the drama or CRIME.

The buyer wants me to purchase $200 Steam gift cards to add on to the item as it's a gift. I said fine, okay, I'll do that for you. 

Then service PayPal sent me emails saying that they have excessively deducted double the money and wanted me to buy more Steam cards to refund the buyer, in order for my funds to be received.

I haven't packed my sales, so that's fine with communication with the buyer. 

Then service PayPal asked me to scratch off the back codes of the cards and send in pictures for their confirmation. I doubted and contacted the buyer if it's safe to do so. The buyer responded yes. 

I did so. And nicely wrapped and sent the packages with the cards for delivery.

Then service PayPal said they deducted twice the amount again!

AND asked for more gift cards purchase and confirmation!

I reported to PayPal and it freezes my account. I received no money yet. 

WTH? What do you think? Is it scam?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

At_28
I’m going through this same situation via eBay. I had to spend out of pocket just for these damn steam cards. Not only that the buyer keeps on hounding me, calling me phone and texting me asking if I have the cards or if PayPal sent me money. I told him that I had to spend my own money because “PayPal” or whatever this other scammer is emailing stating that they will only release the funds if I scratch off for the code at the back of the card.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@QLDer 

Of course, paypal NEVER tells you to send an item or send gift cards to refund a buyer or BEFORE the funds show in you paypal account balance. 

You are receiving fake / scam paypal emails.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.