Transferring $ From Balance To Bank, Paypal Prefilling the Amount to Send with ENTIRE Balance

yougotthewrong1
New Community Member

I updated the app recently. Ive been using the app for years! 

After the update I noticed that when i want to transfer funds from my Paypal balance to my bank, Paypal is now PREFILLING this spot for You!

Before the update, the spot where you put the amount you want to transfer would be 0.00. Now its PREFILLS it with your ENTIRE BALANCE!

I noticed this and tried to be careful to EDIT this before sending funds to my bank. The first couple of times I would catch it and edit it before sending.

Today I accidentally sent the ENTIRE PREFILLED AMOUNT which was my ENTIRE PAYPAL BALANCE and it charged 1% for the transfer.

We MUST demand they update the app again and make the spot where you type in the amount you want to send back to 0.00 and not your entire balance.

I can already see this being a problem with a lot of people not catching it and accidentally transferring ALL of their funds and being charged 1%.

Makes me wonder how much Paypal has made in revenue from charging 1% for bank transfers since the new update. 

I am starting to feel this is fraudulent activity by Paypal.

How many people have accidentally transferred their entire paypal balance because the spot to type in the amount you want to transfer is already prefilled for you by Paypal?

This could be subject to a class action lawsuit depending on how many people this has happened to.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yougotthewrong1 

The idea is that you check and set the amount before you withdraw.

If its 0.00 then you have to imput the amount, if its the full balance then you put in what you want to withdraw.

Why is it paypals fault that you didn't read how much you were withdrawing first?

As for a class action lawsuit apart from the fact you would lose there is no longer the ability to legally do that anymore with paypal.

Feel free to take your own legal action if you want to but it would be a waste of your money.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

yougotthewrong1
New Community Member

The concern is:

The app before it updated it would have the amount you want to send at 0.00.

after if updated it now has the amount you want to send set to your ENTIRE BALANCE.

They must update this to go back to zero.

Otherwise there will be a lot of people accidentally sending their entire balance.

Ask yourself, why is Paypal now prefilling this area for you?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yougotthewrong1 

I guess the main reason is that most folks do withdraw their full balance to their bank account after being paid.

I do and always check the amount to make sure its the full amount before i withdraw.

If i wanted to withdraw a lesser amount then i would check again and change it, easy enough.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

coyote50

I accidentally answered this question for myself, but the answer should help those of you with the same problem. To edit the prefilled balance, which now seems to be your total balance, locate the small gray X next to your balance in big numbers at the top. When I was trying to edit the balance, I discounted that X because X usually means "close". In this case, it means "clear". Clicking on that little gray X will clear the numbers out of the balance, allowing you to enter a smaller number. Then proceed with the transfer as usual.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.