“The merchant doesn’t accept this card”

CRau1
New Community Member

Hi community, I’m trying to withdraw my money from PayPal to my South African bank account (Standard Bank). I’ve already linked it to my PayPal using my FNB Online Banking Profile (this is the way to do it if you’re using a South African account). Once I get redirected from FNB’s page to PayPal, it says “the merchant doesn’t accept this card”. I’ve tried using both my debit and credit cards and I still get the same error message. Please can someone help me? I’m desperate! Thanks, Cara

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CRau1 

You can only withdraw to a bank account and not a card in your country.

How can I transfer funds from my PayPal account to my bank account in South Africa?

Transferring funds from your PayPal account directly to your eligible First National Bank of South Africa (ETF) bank account is easy and secure.

To transfer funds, you must first link your PayPal account to your bank account.
To link your PayPal account to your ETF account, follow these steps:

Click on PayPal Services and then on Link PayPal Profile.
Follow the instructions to link your accounts. You will need to sign in to your PayPal account to confirm that you are the account holder.
After linking your PayPal account to your ETF account, follow these steps to transfer funds to your ETF bank account from your PayPal account:

Click on PayPal Services and then on Withdraw from PayPal.
Enter the transfer amount in USD dollars. (Please check that your PayPal balance is sufficient to make the transfer.)
Follow the instructions to confirm the exchange rate, the Rand amount you will receive, and the Transaction Terms and Conditions.
You will be directed to PayPal to sign in and verify the amount you are transferring to your ETF account.
Then you will be redirected to the FNB site. Your funds will be transferred to your bank account within 3 to 6 business days.

Here are some step by step directions:
https://briefly.co.za/30055-fnb-paypal-withdrawal-service-how-withdraw-money-securely-south-africa.h...
https://techgirl.co.za/2018/01/18/withdraw-funds-paypal-south-africa/

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Agroaap
New Community Member

I'm experiencing the same problem.

My Standard bank Account is linked in FNB as my Non-FNB Account.

Both my FNB and Standard Bank cards are linked in PayPal and verified.

When trying to withdrawal funds via FNB PayPal service, I have tried both my FNB and Standard bank accounts, but get the error on both account 

Login to Me Too

Percy88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem. Did you eventually get sorted out? if yes, how did you do it?

Login to Me Too

Nuin
New Community Member

Did anyone here figure out how to fix this? I'm having the same problem and this is how I get my salary so not being able to access it is a huge issue. 

Login to Me Too

DaniellaDeee
New Community Member

You all have to link your bank card by requesting a 4-digit code in your wallet. It will put through a small PayPal transaction on your bank account, which will appear 2-5 business days on your statement/transaction history. The code will be alongside this transaction

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DaniellaDeee 

That doesn't help as they are in South Africa.

Paypal varies a lot country to country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

GalaxyKat96
Contributor
Contributor

Im also dealing with this problem. I even tried changing the primary currency to USD.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

Login to Me Too

GalaxyKat96
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah it turns out you just have to convert the currency of the amount you got.

If it's in a currency that's not in USD. Just go to Wallet under Pay & Get Paid > Go to the amount you got under currencies > Convert Currency > Convert it to USD. And that's it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.