'Sorry, something’s not right. Please try again later.'

360Grade
Contributor
Contributor

Since I received a payment from my regular US-based freelance source a few days ago, I have been unable to withdraw money from my account. The balance stands at around a thousand dollars.

Attempts to withdraw money get the message 'Sorry, something’s not right. Please try again later.' from the browser-based PayPal interface.

On another forum, someone succeeded in getting past this message by downloading the iOS app. I tried this, downloaded the app to my iPhone, logged in, re-attempted a withdrawal and this time got the message 'Something is wrong with your account. You can contact us'.

I have already contacted PayPal twice and received no answer - do I have to give up on this account and the money in it? What can I do to get some resolution to this block?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

360Grade
Contributor
Contributor

Here's how I resolved it, and here's what the problem turned out to be.

TLDR: If you have a business PayPal account, fill in each and every possible section of the Settings > My Profile > My Business Info panel that the panel will let you complete (in my case, 'Trading Name' is greyed out, for instance - PayPal neither autofills that information from my online info for the company, nor lets me complete it manually). Otherwise there is an endless string of ceilings that you will hit as the cumulative amount of money passing through your account rises. AFAIK the details of these ceilings are undocumented or otherwise unavailable to the public. Just fill them all in on day 1.

You'll have to really look for them, too: click and explore each 'Edit' link in that section, and don't be fooled by what the labels are on those links, because they are completely unintuitive. Nor will the interface (web or mobile app) be able to tell you what information is missing, or what section you should go to to fix the problem - only a live person on a help call can do that.

In desperation at the opaque messages from the web interface and the PayPal app, I hit the 'Call' button, not even knowing if I had enough international phone credits to call the US from Eastern Europe. Turns out, I did.

After less than a minute I got through to a lady who was probably as helpful as anyone could have been under the circumstances.

The PayPal account in question is a Business account, and, as far as I can tell, this new payment of $1000+ pushed the account into a new level of required authentication.

The lady was able to see which missing information in my account was causing the block on transactions, even though this is not indicated to the end user in any way while he or she is blocked.

The lady directed me to Settings > My Profile > My Business Info > Business Information. All that field shows in the panel is the name of your company, which might lead you to believe there is only one editable field in there. In fact, there are a great many fields in 'Business Information', and the fact that they were not filled in caused my account blockage once we hit a certain ceiling of money throughput.

The lady told me that to unblock the account I had to add a business phone number. We had already added one, a mobile for my partner, who has the majority share in our company. I tried to edit the category of that number into a 'business' number, but there is no such category available. There is only 'Work', 'Mobile' and 'Call center'.

In the end the lady advised me to re-add the same number in the category 'Call Center'. After I did that, she confirmed from the back end that this had lessened, but not removed the blockage.

Next I had to add a 'Beneficial Owner' in that section, so I added my majority-holding partner, who has 66.67% of the company. The lady said that I did not have to add myself straight away to unblock the account, but that eventually I would need to do this. I decided to wait until I had withdrawn the money that I wanted to withdraw, and afterwards I added myself, anticipating later blocks when our throughput hits yet another undocumented ceiling.

I suggested that I fill in the VAT no. section, but the lady said not to bother. I am pretty convinced, based on experience, that this account is going to freeze up again at a later point for lack of a VAT number, but nonetheless I heeded her advice.

I also had to insert a 'Sales Venue' (I just put 'LinkedIn', which is where my partner and I mostly get our contacts and work), a pretty meaningless 'Average transaction price', 'Average monthly volume' and 'Percentage of annual revenue from online sales' section (could not complete the more relevant information without putting in some or other random figure for these, even though they do not really apply).

After that, the lady said that the account was unblocked, and I was able to transfer my money.

I have not had a bad experience calling for help with PayPal, though I don't know if they prioritize foreign caller IDs. The lady was helpful.

But what burns me is that the account locks up without providing any feedback or route to a remedy, or email notification of any kind, anywhere in any of the supplied interfaces. Combine that with the fact that PayPal apparently never replies to emails (I sent two during this problem), and you would really have to Google the problem and find out in a forum like this what might possibly be wrong with your account.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Vegasinvestment
New Community Member
I am having this issue as well. I realize that PayPal is practicing fraudulent business dealings. If I kept my buyers money and never sent goods that will be considered Theft or robbery. PayPal has decided to restrict my funds after I sent customer goods now I'm out of product and my money, this is classified as theft. I will file a police report and join the class action lawsuits against PayPal
Login to Me Too

Vegasinvestment
New Community Member
I've requested a copy of the contract that they claim I agreed to and have received nothing not a single document. This is illegal you are capitalizing by stealing from your consumers, little by little, from account to account.
Login to Me Too
Solved

360Grade
Contributor
Contributor

Here's how I resolved it, and here's what the problem turned out to be.

TLDR: If you have a business PayPal account, fill in each and every possible section of the Settings > My Profile > My Business Info panel that the panel will let you complete (in my case, 'Trading Name' is greyed out, for instance - PayPal neither autofills that information from my online info for the company, nor lets me complete it manually). Otherwise there is an endless string of ceilings that you will hit as the cumulative amount of money passing through your account rises. AFAIK the details of these ceilings are undocumented or otherwise unavailable to the public. Just fill them all in on day 1.

You'll have to really look for them, too: click and explore each 'Edit' link in that section, and don't be fooled by what the labels are on those links, because they are completely unintuitive. Nor will the interface (web or mobile app) be able to tell you what information is missing, or what section you should go to to fix the problem - only a live person on a help call can do that.

In desperation at the opaque messages from the web interface and the PayPal app, I hit the 'Call' button, not even knowing if I had enough international phone credits to call the US from Eastern Europe. Turns out, I did.

After less than a minute I got through to a lady who was probably as helpful as anyone could have been under the circumstances.

The PayPal account in question is a Business account, and, as far as I can tell, this new payment of $1000+ pushed the account into a new level of required authentication.

The lady was able to see which missing information in my account was causing the block on transactions, even though this is not indicated to the end user in any way while he or she is blocked.

The lady directed me to Settings > My Profile > My Business Info > Business Information. All that field shows in the panel is the name of your company, which might lead you to believe there is only one editable field in there. In fact, there are a great many fields in 'Business Information', and the fact that they were not filled in caused my account blockage once we hit a certain ceiling of money throughput.

The lady told me that to unblock the account I had to add a business phone number. We had already added one, a mobile for my partner, who has the majority share in our company. I tried to edit the category of that number into a 'business' number, but there is no such category available. There is only 'Work', 'Mobile' and 'Call center'.

In the end the lady advised me to re-add the same number in the category 'Call Center'. After I did that, she confirmed from the back end that this had lessened, but not removed the blockage.

Next I had to add a 'Beneficial Owner' in that section, so I added my majority-holding partner, who has 66.67% of the company. The lady said that I did not have to add myself straight away to unblock the account, but that eventually I would need to do this. I decided to wait until I had withdrawn the money that I wanted to withdraw, and afterwards I added myself, anticipating later blocks when our throughput hits yet another undocumented ceiling.

I suggested that I fill in the VAT no. section, but the lady said not to bother. I am pretty convinced, based on experience, that this account is going to freeze up again at a later point for lack of a VAT number, but nonetheless I heeded her advice.

I also had to insert a 'Sales Venue' (I just put 'LinkedIn', which is where my partner and I mostly get our contacts and work), a pretty meaningless 'Average transaction price', 'Average monthly volume' and 'Percentage of annual revenue from online sales' section (could not complete the more relevant information without putting in some or other random figure for these, even though they do not really apply).

After that, the lady said that the account was unblocked, and I was able to transfer my money.

I have not had a bad experience calling for help with PayPal, though I don't know if they prioritize foreign caller IDs. The lady was helpful.

But what burns me is that the account locks up without providing any feedback or route to a remedy, or email notification of any kind, anywhere in any of the supplied interfaces. Combine that with the fact that PayPal apparently never replies to emails (I sent two during this problem), and you would really have to Google the problem and find out in a forum like this what might possibly be wrong with your account.

Login to Me Too

360Grade
Contributor
Contributor

Additionally, since PayPal makes provision for a much wide ranger of authenticating documentation, I have to conclude that it is impossible to anticipate and prevent account blockages as you hit certain ceilings or behavior patterns. At some point you will need to upload core business documents for individual, human-facing evaluation, and your account will not be enabled to upload these documents until it is locked and blocked (I tried the default 'upload' link on my own PayPal account, and it doesn't exist - yet).

PS - For context, this problem was a 'ceiling' issue, not a setup issue. I had already used this account for withdrawing a fairly large amount of money.

Login to Me Too

mohammed1985
Contributor
Contributor
I have same issue more then 2 weeks, how you fix your issue ?
Login to Me Too

ilirmor

I'm having the same issue please fix

Login to Me Too

BtingArT
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same issue. I believe it's a bug only in the PayPal app. I transferred money to my bank on the laptop. So just try taking care of transfers on the PC if this happens and hopefully it works.
Login to Me Too

Biclight
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think you do. Since customer help line is turned off, they keep your $$. I tried everything and with the support line turned off for Covid19 virus...They keep our money

Login to Me Too

mattyjc
New Community Member

I to have been having this issue now for over a week, but on a Personal account.

I have phoned PayPal twice and no one can give me any kind of resolution nor can they tell me why I can not withdrawal my money.

On the first phone call I was told to wait for 24 hours before attempting to withdrawal my funds. I waited for over 24 hours before attempting, and, again, the "Oops!" message.

On the second phone call I was told that my account was not restricted over and over again. I had to point out the fact I was not allowed to withdrawal my funds was THE very definition of restricted! This person then told me I now had to wait for 72 hours before attempting to withdrawal. 

What is infuriating is that , in no way, has PayPal explained how or why this is happening. In no way have they explained how it can be resolved. In no way have they explained how it can be prevented from happening in the future. On my dashboard, in App, or on the phone; no explanation can be offered at all. All I have been told is "There is nothing we can do". I ask you; is that customer service?

If any one could help me solve this issue on a personal account I would be immensely grateful. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.