Sent money to incorrect email address and paypal says they can't help in getting it back??

nbds01
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone sent money that they had in their paypal balance to a wrong email address, transaction completed, then went to person that you incorrectly sent the money to, they will not cancel/refund your money and Paypal advises they can't help you and sends you to IC3.gov to file a complaint????

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nbds01

Sadly as you used the friends / family option then you basically sent a 'gift' of money to someone.

Thats why paypal can't help you as you have no buyer protection because you weren't buying anything.

If you had funded it via a card they may have helped you but as it was your balance nothing paypal can do sadly.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Gpeach211
Contributor
Contributor
I did the same thing except the email address that i sent it to no longer exists. I have the receipt stating so. Since the transaction was completed, I wasn't able to cancel it. Cant seem to get anyone from PayPal to understand what happened and no luck on getting a refund. If that email doesnt exists,and the money hasn't been returned to me, where/who then does my money go to? Can I get a refund ?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gpeach211 

If the email does not exist then it would be impossible for the funds to transfer to a paypal account as a paypal account is identified by the email address.

If you sent a payment using goods/services and its completed and you did not receive anything then open a dispute for non receipt of item. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.