Revolut card linked to paypal - charged in gbp instead of euro

kriss777
Contributor
Contributor

hi Paypal and People,

Recently I have purchased an item online for 399€. My PP is linked to  Revolut card which is in €.

Somehow I have been charged 413.44 as per exchange rate. GBP to €

It's very confusing as I am based in EU, my Revolut card is also in € .

The payment was in € and the item was shipped within the same country which is in EU. 

How is that even possible that Paypal is charging in GBP??? the Revolut is not even in the UK anymore.

This is really making me disappointed.

Same thing happen to my flatmate, when he used Paypal linked to Revolut card to pay for the Netflix subscription.

Have seen so many posts with the same/similar issue here in the forums. 

Is this the way for Paypal to make extra money?

Please advise, 

much obliged, 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kriss777 

During checkout, did you select who does the conversion by clicking the exchange rate or “View currency conversion options” or similar link? Have to do this every time you checkout. Otherwise, contact customer service to elect that € be used exclusively for that card.

When you add a credit card to your PayPal account, it's automatically registered in your local currency. This is PayPal’s standard procedure as your card issuer doesn't inform PayPal what the actual currency is.

If you usually send your payments in the same foreign currency, you can avoid conversion costs if your card is denominated in the currency of the transactions you make.

To update the currency PayPal use to charge your card, email or call us with the following information:

• the last four digits of your linked card number
  • the currency you want to use for your card

Until PayPal update the currency for your card, please complete the following additional steps when you send a payment:

1. Click Other Conversion Options on the Review Your Payment page.
  2. Choose Bill me in the currency listed on the seller’s invoice. Select this option to ensure that your credit card is charged in the currency you want.

When you choose this option, you won’t know which foreign exchange rate has been applied to the transaction until you receive your card statement. Your card issuer will determine the foreign exchange rate to apply to the transaction.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kriss777
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for you response @sharpiemarker , really appreciate it

"When you add a credit card to your PayPal account, it's automatically registered in your local currency"  

My local currency is €, I am based in Ireland/EU and have nothing to do with UK and their pounds.

I always pay in euros when using Revolut. 

Other then that , I couldn't follow additional steps while was doing the payment as the payment went through Google Pay.
As my PayPal is linked to GPAY. 

Still don't get it how come PayPal has decided that Revolut and my base currency are GBP?

Revolut is in the EU, it has IBAN from Lithuania. I am based in Ireland. 
Trying to connect the dots but do not see any logic.
Seems like PayPal is playing tricks to make some extra cash as most people wouldn't bother contacting support over few euros.

The only thing that I have in common with pounds is the old saying "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"

Login to Me Too

mikkki
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @kriss777 , I suffered from the same conversion issue. Now I found out that you can set a cards' currency in the paypal app for iOS. Just click on wallet, select the card and then set the currency to EUR.

Hope it works for you, too 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.