Revolut card linked to Paypal - wrong currency

dvad3r
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Paypal community,

Today I have paid using paypal for an item that I have purchased from Ebay.

I have chosen as payment method PayPal. My PayPal account has my Revolut debit card linked to it  and since I am from Romania, my revolut card's main account is in RON. On revolut account a transaction of 122.99 GBP is displayed in the history (RON to GBP) and then on PayPal GBP was exchanged to EUR. Why didn't asked directly EUR from the Revolut ? All my funds are in RON on my revolut account.  I had to pay 140 EURO (item+shipping) but I was charged from the revolut card in GBP then the GBP exchanged through PayPal to EUR and then Paypal paid 140 EUR to the seller.

The transactions were in the following order:

Revolut to Paypal:

711.51 RON = 122.99 GBP

Paypal exchange

Exchange rate 122,99 GBP = 139,94 EUR1 GBP = 1,1379 EUR

(already had on PayPal 0.06 EUR)

Paypal paid 140 euro.

Can anyone explain why did this happen? I want to mention that my PayPal primary account is in EUR, my Revolut primary account is in RON any my address is correct (Romanian address) on both Paypal and Revolut !

Thanks

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

jejeje
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever got a reply from Paypal? Same issue for me today. Nowhere did it say I would be charged in £ and on all the receipts etc I have it just stands euro. 

Login to Me Too

kriss777
Contributor
Contributor

same issue here, did you get it sorted? is it paypal or revolut who is messing it up?

Login to Me Too

dvad3r
Contributor
Contributor
Hello ! The thing is that the default currency for Revolut is GBP. This is not some how known by the users. Even if you have only an euro or usd account the default is GBP since their bank was based in the UK. The users have to send a request to Revolut to change their default currency into EUR or whatever currency they want but this has to be a user's request. Then you will not have this issue. I hope this helps Cheers !
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.