Refund from a negative balance. (?)

androidj4m3s
Contributor
Contributor
5 weeks ago I sold something in ebay to a person from the Netherlands. (I'm in uk). It apparently never arrived, and so the person has opened a resolve case (through paypal, not eBay). Since the item wasn't tracked, I've got no choice but to refund. Not got a problem with that, things do go missing. HOWEVER Since the sale was 5 weeks ago, I have long since withdrawn the money. When the buyer opened the case, paypal emailed me and said they had taken the sale price from my account. At that time, my paypal balance was £0.00 It is now (minus) -£17.43 My question is, how do I send the buyer a refund if my balance is negative? As it is, I'd have to clear the negative balance first, before sending the refund. So I'd end up paying twice(?) I tried to press the refund button, but it just says I can't do that because of insufficient funds. I get my wages on the 20th, the buyer has agreed to wait until the 21st before escalating to a claim. What do I do? If I clear my balance AND refund, I'll have to pay twice. Which obviously I don't want to do. Bit confused, tbh. Any advice?
Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

meeshka69
Contributor
Contributor

A buyer requested a partial refund of £60 from the original £200 paid, so I my dad paid £65 into my paypal because I couldn't transfer it from my bank. No problem! The buyer was refunded £60. Ebay closed the return case in MY favour. I'm now £143.73 in the negative with Paypal because Ebay has mistakenly re-opened the case. Paypal have taken that amount from my bank and bills are due to be paid! I only have a little left in my bank account and the bills are not covered, which they would have been had Paypal not withdrawn the money. How can I get that money back into my account quicker than the 'up to 72 hours' time frame I have been given. This is totally NOT my fault and I am sitting here desparing! I have contacted both ebay and Paypal and it seems there is nothing I can do. It's making me ill. I'm already suffering with depression.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Sophie

Hi meeshka69,

So sorry to hear about this situation.

It sounds like your case being re-opened by eBay was an oversight, and you would need to contact eBay directly to find out why this has occurred. Any withdrawal you initiate may also be subject to a hold of up to 72 hours, and although it's unfortunate that this occurred in this case, it would be initiated automatically by our security system.

If your withdrawal is still on hold or if you are experiencing any further issues with this, I would recommend contacting Customer Support directly so we can take a closer look at how we can help. You can find our contact details by clicking on 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any page when logged in.

Thanks in advance,

Sophie

Login to Me Too

austinlxx

In case anyone also encounters this issue...

The situation:

• I sold an item on eBay, transferred the money to my bank, then later the item was disputed through eBay. PayPal/eBay then seizes funds that aren't available in my PayPal account, leaving a negative balance.
  • Tried refunding through eBay, but received an error stating "There was a problem issuing the refund".  -- this is terrible feedback upon user error, since there wasn't any indication on what exactly occurred.
  • In PayPal, there was an "Add Money" button next to the negative balance. However, clicking on this button redirected me to my payment methods/wallet. There was no option to add money or funds in this screen nor in any other PayPal page.

The resolution:

• Since I couldn't add money to my PayPal account from through my own means... I had someone else with a PayPal account, send money to my PayPal that equates to the exact amount in my negative balance.
  • Once the negative balance was cleared, I was immediately able to refund my buyer.

----------------

I am not sure what is going on with eBay and PayPal, but this issue was very stressful to deal with. Furthermore, the issue seems to be a problem with both eBay AND PayPal's system. There have been other posts related to this issue where eBay customer service has told users to talk to PayPal and vice-versa, both pointing fingers at each other. -- They're both eBay companies, so this is just even more frustrating and disappointing.

Login to Me Too

ImpressionEnt
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same situation as the ones that are above. It really gave me the impression that I'll have to pay twice for the refund. What I did from my negative balance of -143.20GBP is that from the 3 choices that PP prompted for me to take action with i had choosen to do a full refund. But PP would'nt allow me to that by that time coz my available money is in USD. The next thing I did was I converted USD money into GBP. The negative balance and the Open Case notification icon went off so I thought the problem was settled automatically. But then a day later PP service center gave me an email, notified me again that i should take action from the dispute. The problem is the money that is left on my account can't accomodate the money that is neede to be refunded. So yeah, It really is giving me the impression to pay twice. What should I do? Please help me I am so confused.

Login to Me Too

LCoke1
Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have several subscription payments I make a month, and recently I had insufficient funds to pay one. I had about half the demanded payment. I was sent a message from my bank claiming that I was required to place funds into my account to balance it back to $0.00. However I pay for this service through PayPal. I managed to place some more funds into my account, which was more than enough to bring it back to a positive. However, I received an email this morning saying that my PayPal balance was now negative, and what has happened is that there was an extraction made by my bank, a refund from PayPal, for almost the amount I just put in. Making my PayPal balance negative. I have no idea what's happening or why this is ocurring, as I had payed my dues before theit deadlines. Please help, sincerely Lachlan.
Login to Me Too

d20larre
Contributor
Contributor

Much like this situation: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Holds-reversals-reserves/Refund-from-a-negative-balance/td-p/649...

I have made up a negative balance of 234 dollars, and the buyer is still requesting a refund.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

I Hi @d20larre,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community!

I have moved your post where you can find additional information on your issue. 

In general, if the buyer has not receive a refund yet, it may be that the case that the buyer filed is still open and that a decision has not been take yet or that your refund was issued using an eCheque. In this last case, it may take up to 10 days for the eCheque to clear and for the funds to appear in the buyer's PayPal account. 

If the case is still open, it means that a decision has not been taken yet and due to this, the refund to the buyer has not been confirmed yet. Please visit your Resolution Centre for further information on your claim. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Alex_c60
Contributor
Contributor
I am in the middle of a PayPal claim. So my balance was -£57.96, and I purchased something worth £28. So PayPal charged me close to £85 to bring my PayPal balance back to £0. However if the claim is decided in the buyers favour, I will be paying twice for this. I have been unable to speak to anybody about this and I am unsure what to do. If anybody could help, that would be great.
Login to Me Too

haziqxvii
Contributor
Contributor

I'm currently in a middle of a claim. Customer decided to ask for refund worth MYR280. Logged on to Paypal a few days ago and saw that my balance was negative. So i added funds back to my account to get back to zero and i assume that the money that i added would be held for the refund purpose. However, i've been getting emails from Paypal regarding the refund situation and keeps asking me to respond. I've already responded saying that i'll issue the refund but it keeps saying that i have not enough funds. Well yeah all the funds that i added went to cover back the negative amount. It doesn't make sense for me to add another MYR280 to the account just to issue the refund after already adding MYR280 to my account just a few days ago. Please enlighten me about this. ANd i hope that i don't need to pay double. Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.