Re-Linking Card

subdilla

I tried to complete a transaction on a webshop, the payment then failed because my address has no province set (not really needed for postal matters as Switzerland is a small country, postal services ask us not to use provinces for addresses, it's purely a political matter - but anyway..).

I then tried to change my address to add this province but the edit button was disabled.

I then tried with a new address and tried to associate it with the card, this failed. So I removed the address again.

I then removed the card, added a new address and tried to re-link the card, now it tells me my card, the same card I had previously linked to this and only this account is invalid.

I now even re-added the address without the province and tried to link the card but that fails too.

Is there anyway to fix this without closing my account?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@subdilla 

I know that your billing address didn't technically change but if stores won't let you buy because its missing the province, you'll have to update your billing address at your card account to include the province/canton so you can then edit the address on PayPal. Because if even one letter is off, PayPal won't let you update or edit your billing address on card on the Wallet page.

Yeah, there probably is a batch/overnight processing. If PayPal doesn't let you re-add the card, you have to call customer service to have card reset.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@subdilla 

In order for you to change your billing address in PayPal, it must also be changed on your card account too. You didn't do that so it doesn't work and lead you to removing your card (which had nothing to do with the problem).

To link it again, contact customer service to reset the card:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other available options.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Let's say for example, you live in a locality of Bern, Switzerland. For province, you can put the Canton (Bern) so your address would be:

Lorraine (locality), Bern (Canton), Switzerland (country)

When I deal with intl addresses, I put either the region/canton/province/district in the same field, after the city or locality.

Login to Me Too

subdilla

@sharpiemarker wrote:

In order for you to change your billing address in PayPal, it must also be changed on your card account too. You didn't do that so it doesn't work and lead you to removing your card (which had nothing to do with the problem).

Hi @sharpiemarker  & thank you for the fast reply - what does it mean on my "card account"? Is this something I can do myself?

All I saw is my addresses and I tried both of them, with and without Province (or "Canton")..?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@subdilla wrote:

@sharpiemarker wrote:

Hi @sharpiemarker  & thank you for the fast reply - what does it mean on my "card account"? Is this something I can do myself?

All I saw is my addresses and I tried both of them, with and without Province (or "Canton")..?

You're welcome.

I am referring to your card account info. Of course, you can certainly change that yourself. Either from online access to your card account or call your card company to change it.

Then, you can update the billing address for the card at PayPal to what you have on your card. Go to Wallet page, click the card, click update to update billing address. (If the system determines that the info on the card is different from what is in PayPal, PayPal will let you update it.)

You were trying to change the billing address on your card at PayPal without first changing the billing address on your card account (the account of your card). PayPal won't let you do that. The billing address info has to originate from the funding source (your card).

Login to Me Too

subdilla

Ah, I see. But my address didn't change at all. I only added the province (Canton) detail because the webshop failed to process without it.

And now when I try to add it, it does not let me with either the address with or without the added province detail.

I sent a message to support and I will give it another try in 24 hours or so, maybe I need to wait for some batch/overnight processing.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@subdilla 

I know that your billing address didn't technically change but if stores won't let you buy because its missing the province, you'll have to update your billing address at your card account to include the province/canton so you can then edit the address on PayPal. Because if even one letter is off, PayPal won't let you update or edit your billing address on card on the Wallet page.

Yeah, there probably is a batch/overnight processing. If PayPal doesn't let you re-add the card, you have to call customer service to have card reset.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.