Personal Money Transfer from Australia to USA

deenguyen
New Community Member

Hi,

I am hoping someone can shine some light on a recent transaction I made to my cousin from Australia to USA via Paypal. I am sending her money for her cancer treatment and when I did it on the mobile app there was not pop up or alert to say it would charge a really high fee for the money transfer which end up being $136.70 USD after my cousin got the money.

I called Paypal Australia yesterday and a Rep said just issue a refund from my cousin side and you will get a full refund and then you can send it again. My cousin did this and I got even less money back now. The refund that got issue back was only $2963.30USD and then on top of that I got even less in AUD. I am not sure why the Paypal person told me to issue a refund like that cause now I have lost even more money. It charged my account in AUD $4,552.34 AUD when I first transferred it and after issuing a refund back I got $4049.17AUD (2-3 days later)and paypal did not refund the Fee of $136.70USD.

Is this money lost for good? I am just upset why the Paypal Person told me to issue a refund like this , i rather have lost $136.70USD then even more now cause I still gotta send money back to my cousin. Probably going to do bank wire transfer like I should of done but I just wanted the money instantly for her to use. 

Thanks

Dee

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@deenguyen wrote:

Hi,

I am hoping someone can shine some light on a recent transaction I made to my cousin from Australia to USA via Paypal. I am sending her money for her cancer treatment and when I did it on the mobile app there was not pop up or alert to say it would charge a really high fee for the money transfer which end up being $136.70 USD after my cousin got the money.

I called Paypal Australia yesterday and a Rep said just issue a refund from my cousin side and you will get a full refund and then you can send it again. My cousin did this and I got even less money back now. The refund that got issue back was only $2963.30USD and then on top of that I got even less in AUD. I am not sure why the Paypal person told me to issue a refund like that cause now I have lost even more money. It charged my account in AUD $4,552.34 AUD when I first transferred it and after issuing a refund back I got $4049.17AUD (2-3 days later)and paypal did not refund the Fee of $136.70USD.

Is this money lost for good? I am just upset why the Paypal Person told me to issue a refund like this , i rather have lost $136.70USD then even more now cause I still gotta send money back to my cousin. Probably going to do bank wire transfer like I should of done but I just wanted the money instantly for her to use. 

Thanks

Dee

You can call back customer service to see if you can get some of the money back but I doubt it but Here is fee schedule for personal payments: https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Overseas
No matter how much you send, or where you send it, there’s a flat fee of $5.99 when you send money to friends overseas. An additional 2.6% plus a small fixed fee (based on currency) applies to any portion funded by your credit or debit card.

Don’t forget, a currency conversion fee may apply to either the sender or recipient.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

deenguyen
New Community Member

Thanks mate, the mobile app never popped up about the extra fees which is crap cause I would of not sent it had I known. The worst thing is the ISSUE REFUND, i lost even more money now cause the paypal rep told me to do this. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@deenguyen wrote:

Thanks mate, the mobile app never popped up about the extra fees which is crap cause I would of not sent it had I known. The worst thing is the ISSUE REFUND, i lost even more money now cause the paypal rep told me to do this. 

Yeah it's weird that their interfaces are different depending on the device used.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

sending money to another country has fee,currency conversion has fee.

if you sent as if you are buying goods or services instead of friend and family,your recipient pays fee as if he is selling you something .

then when he converts to his local currency,there is conversion fee.

In some case,payment could be withheld by Paypal for scrutiny.

You are better off using wiretransfer for that kind of money 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.