Pending Authorization

dsmpollock
Contributor
Contributor

If a merchant's website accepts payment by Paypal and I have more than enough credit to cover the charge, why would my payment be pending authorization? It's never happened before as my charges have been immediate. 

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong board. This is my very first post. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @dsmpollock,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, an 'Authorisation' is an agreement between a buyer and a seller and the payment will be completed only if the merchant processes and confirms the order. The difference with a normal payment is that, usually, the authorisation remains pending until the merchant decides to process it. For this reason, it would depend on the merchant directly if the transaction has not been completed yet as it probably means that the order has not been processed. I would recommend contacting the merchant directly for more information. 

I hope this helps!

Martina

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @dsmpollock,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, an 'Authorisation' is an agreement between a buyer and a seller and the payment will be completed only if the merchant processes and confirms the order. The difference with a normal payment is that, usually, the authorisation remains pending until the merchant decides to process it. For this reason, it would depend on the merchant directly if the transaction has not been completed yet as it probably means that the order has not been processed. I would recommend contacting the merchant directly for more information. 

I hope this helps!

Martina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.