Paypal keeps asking for me to add a creditcard

Jade708
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the situation:

I decided a while ago that I wanted PayPal, cause it's safe and easy to use and also doesn't charge €20/year like most creditcards do. I used my account for online payments, mainly from the App Store.

Once, I clicked on "download" for an app that didn't have a price tag, I got charged anyway. I was so **bleep** off that I decided to ask PayPal for a refund, thinking that it was just like any other refund. But no: Apple banned PayPal as a payment method. Since then, I can't make any payment using PayPal anymore because it keeps asking me "please add a credit card to complete your purchase".

I decided to call PayPal. They told me they lifted everything that they decided to block for me. PayPal still asked for the creditcard... So I decided to call Apple. They did the same. The guy I had on the phone told me to have no hope, "try to make a new account", he said that he had the same issue years ago and that it still isn't solved.

It's still not solved, it's been two weeks and I'm so tired of it... The people working for PayPal have no idea what this is, does that make any sense??? It's YOUR company. And again... I chose PayPal over a creditcard... if you're gonna force me to get a creditcard anyway... what use does PayPal have? If I'd get a credit card I would just delete PayPal. From that moment I'd tell anyone who asks me a question about PayPal to just get a creditcard... because "you don't want to go through the **bleep** I had to deal with... and don't get me started on the payments that were put on hold - you hear me, not stopped, piling up until PayPal works again..."

I'm tired of these automatically generated responses that PayPal gives me all the time... I didn't ask for them to block everything... I asked for a refund.IMG_9521.JPG

Oh yeah and let's not forget EVERYONE ELSE that has the same issue and that you decide not to respond to!

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Payments-Archive/Paypal-is-suddenly-asking-to-add-a-credit...

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

Kakilli
Contributor
Contributor

I’m in Australia and now I’m having this problem too. I have 2 cards linked to my account and it’s asking for me to link another. It’s so frustrating. I used my paypal for eBay. An hour later I needed to buy something I forgot and bam. I need to link a card. 

Login to Me Too

wertamaki1
Contributor
Contributor

did not work for me 

Login to Me Too

DutchAngel
Contributor
Contributor

Hello World,

Maybe I'm wrong or not, but I will share and let everyone know this. It seems that many websites still use the unsafe and outdated system between the choice of a payment with PayPal or CC. Yes, in this case, in the 'old situation', it refers to use a CC for safety reasons. This was what PayPal letting us know. PayPal strives to do their best and to inform us, but unfortunately they don't do and say not (perhaps in the near future) everything. However, (and on the other side) many sites are not aware of the new way to pay with PayPal or CC on their site. See for example the website of Cocoatech.com, because I bought this app (with a discount) and PayPal worked great, and without CC.

In short, it's up to PayPal to warn companies/Devs about this 'new payment system' because of security and their own continuity.

Hope this brings us to a solution in both ways!

Have a pleasant day!

Login to Me Too

starfishfarms
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder if devs are not upgrading to latest PP protocol, which would avoid the "add another card" prompt so folks will resort to credit card, thus saving the site PP fee.

Login to Me Too

Alexander_UA

I expirienced the same problem.

But I solved it. I just used another browser (Chrome instead of Firefox), deleted all my cards using Firefox, make log in in Chrome and add a new one that was never used before with Payapl. It helped me.

Login to Me Too

vondujamel
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is NOT solved. The heart of the issue is Paypal asking for a new credit card. You may have change browser, but you still add a new one. If your credit card is fine, why would you need to have a new one just for Paypal? This bug has been around for years. They really do not care about their customers.

Login to Me Too

TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

HAve the same issue since yesterday (April 11 2020) wanted to buy some pc items on a website I used many times in the past and was able to use my PP with my bank account, even the delayed payment option of 21 days. but since yesterday when I pay with PP I get rerouted from the normal login page to the add credit card page and no options to choose any other payment option. My bank account is verified and the store was very surprised that I could not use PP with them anymore in the fashion I did for so many years.

This seems to be a bug because I added a valid CC to my account and yet it still routes me to the default add a CC page.

Also I found out today that all my subscriptions I have using PP are being cancelled because there is no valid CC added in my account while it is.

I phoned a friend who also uses PP and has a bank account and CC linked to his PP and he is able to buy from the same Dutch store using his PP, it's unclear if his payment was through his bank account (he did choose this option but it was unclear if it used his bank account). So it seems this problem only exists for users that only use a bank account and not a CC. live in The Netherlands by the way

Login to Me Too

TGLeviathan
Contributor
Contributor

Little update here:

As of the second week of may everything seems back to normal, no more questions about adding a CC to my PayPal on the sites that previously did and the 21 day option is also back to most of the sites that I could opt for it. 

So I'm guessing this must have been some sort of error however I never received any email on my complaints that I made. So for me it's back to normal.

Login to Me Too

Dracelia
Contributor
Contributor
U defend Paypal care for us users only Us users have live support and we just have **bleep** automatic replay
Login to Me Too

SuchAHomebody
Contributor
Contributor
I'm from Germany and have the same problem. Wanted to buy a shirt from a store I ordered from three times already using paypal (the only method they accept) and never had any problems until today. I heard one of the reasons why they ask you to add a new payment method could be that you're in the negative. But this definitely can't be the reason for me. My latest transaction was over two weeks ago and my paypal balance is at 0.00€ (since I can't use online banking I have to use my bank account's balance). I also tried using both my computer and phone and got the messages on both devices. Also it took Paypal almost a year to verify my bank account. :'))) I'll try it again in two-three days. Hopefully it's fixed until then.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.