cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal illegally holding money

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Paypal illegally holding money

After six plus years with PayPal and over 1000 selling transactions, PayPal has decided for the safety of my buyers to put a hold on my money. My eBay feedback is 100% positive and I am a power seller. I have had no cases opened and have 2 return cases in almost 7 years. I have a 30 day return policy and will refund even if its buyer remorse. So can anyone tell me why I have a hold on my money. Costumer Service can't tell me. The first two times I called Customer Service they looked at my history and immediately released the payments to me and said the holds stop. They didnt. After many years being happy with PayPal as my payment processor, I will no longer use PayPal if this is the way the treat a honest loyal costumer.
Highlighted

Yepp i had the same situation, have had to call in more than three times now just to have payments released....

and for the SECOND time was assured it wouldn't happen again..it happens EVERY SALE even for less than a £100....

they come out with all kinds of excuses but the first thing they always say is "we can keep your money for 21 days" 
like it's some kind of privilege of theirs...

so after the last complaint they said their "system" isn't working properly..and wont release peoples payments automatically...strange as this has been going on for a very long time with no changes...so now there essentially lying to your face...

very bad practice to release payments based on customer feedback when 90% of ebay buyers will never leave you feedback good or bad...

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Dbran

Feedback has not counted for payment release for years.

And as Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies with 2 separate policies for 'new seller holds' then if your is an Ebay hold then Ebay 'authorise' the release of their clients held funds when tracking shows delivery of the item + 3 days (normally).

Advice is VOLUNTARILY given.
Please leave Kudos / Solution if I have helped you.
Highlighted

I sold an item (quite high value) printed the label and posted it to the buyer....  all good methinks.  UPS Tracking tells me it has been delivered but the buyer opens a case and says not delivered.... he has a card saying item left in porch by Yodel (how yodel got it is a mystery to me).  He does not have a porch.  Yodel customer support check the delivery on GPS tracking and say the driver hit the delivered button outside number 50...the wrong address!  Refuse to deal with me as ebay is the customer... ebay send me around in circles best I can get is online chat.  Case is eventually resolved in my favour but money is still on hold 3 days later.  Poor buyer has no item and I have no payment (yet)... I sent with UPS but Yodel delivered to wrong address, we both are struggling to get anyone to talk to us because of data protection... this system STINKS... the delivery companies seem to be infested with thieving drivers.. who do not give a damn if an item is delivered or not and getting any support is impossible. .....  

..in the meantime I sell another item but the payment is on hold for 21 days!!!  I have told the buyer I am unable to post the item until I am paid.  He has cancelled and I will not be using ebay to sell anything ever again. 

Amazon and Gumtree from now on.....

Highlighted
Contributor

I was a new seller. My first 5 items were sold without eBay holding my money. But when i added bank account to PayPal and WITHDREW money, my very next sale had a hold put on it. this show me collusion between PayPal and Ebay. They are definitely handshaking. Passing customer withdrawal details.

Its nothing to do with safeguarding buyer's, but all to do with using sellers money as long as possible. They get the interest. I cannot see how this practice would stand up in a court of law. Sue!

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Hobbled1

Paypals user agreement was approved by the financial services equivalent in every country they offer it.

As for your hold...........

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for 'new sellers'.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.
Normally for Ebays hold funds are released when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days (if you use Ebay / paypal postage).

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.
http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/payments-and-fees/funds-availability.html

And to be honest as an Ebay seller myself that has gone through the hold then as I know its for buyer protection I do not have a problem with it, it does not last for long and I want buyers so their protection is important as well.

But if you don't want to agree to Ebay and Paypals terms and conditions then you don't need to 'sue' just close your account surely?

Advice is VOLUNTARILY given.
Please leave Kudos / Solution if I have helped you.
Highlighted
New Community Member

Hello

This is my story, 6 days ago I sold an item on ebay and was paid via paypal "you know the separate company " even though the person received the item and left feedback, it was also tracked. Paypal held the funds for over 24hr and it took a phone call from me for them to remove the hold on the funds. Finally they released the funds and so I then tried to put the money into my bank. After completing the steps online I got a message to say It can take 2hr for the money to show in my account 3hr later no money 😞 2 phone calls to paypal later, I get told it is a security measure and it could take 3 working day for the money to clear in to my bank. if this is not profiteering from interest then I don't know what is!. This is the first and last time I will ever use paypal

Highlighted
Contributor

You gotta love this Ebay policy. I sold an item with Paypal. Shipped the next day with tracking number. Item was picked up and positive feedback received. My funds however are still on hold 19 days later. Fun times.

Highlighted
Contributor

They are absolutley useless I have recived confirmation and also positive feed back from the item I have sent to the buyer yet they have not released funds. You ask on eBay as a seller for the buyer to pay you postage and packaging costs in order to send the item bought yet you don't recive the funds how if you can't get the funds are you ment to send the parcel. This is a platform for everyone to sell on if you ain't got the money and are relying on reciving the postage and packing cost from buyer to sent your package just to make yourself a little extra money your **bleep**. Absolute disgrace!!!!!

Highlighted
Contributor

Just happened to me too. Did everything by the book, confirmed everything, uploaded tracking info, confirmed delivery many days ago, good reputation on ebay & the funny thing is a representative RELEASED my funds & guess what their still being held... 5 different reps said funds would be released yesterday & now 24 hours have passed & still nothing... Like you said it's a total crap shoot, they seem to target some & let others go by without any problems. My advice to anyone is to sell items at a slow pace & never any big orders EVER & you don't have to worry about losing too much money with this service if stuff hits the fan. Another funny thing is all the items I sold were low risk none expensive items & the buyers recieved them & were happy. Paypal recieved their funds & me the seller is the only 1 who hasn't recieved a dime. I will be taking legal action soon if my issues aren't resolved & the money that they are holding of mine will multiply times 50 when I'm done... It's absolutely ridiculous that tinterreat good sellers like this & I honestly believe it's not for security reasons but to gain interest off the money that their illegally holding. They let most people do business as usual & then try to raise their capital by targeting select people for interest gains... I'm almost certain of it at this point