Paypal illegally holding money

sdfasf
Contributor
Contributor

Money paid by buyer's on ebay have been put on hold. I sold 4 items - all from an old computer, at once. 3 of those have been unduly put on hold. This has made it so I'm unable to complete the transaction and send out the items. Reading here it seems like it's a total crap-shoot if they'll even release the money after everything has been sent and positive feedback has received. I'm not a new seller and I've never really had any problems or complaints.

This seems like an illegal, and outright gross attempt to hustle members of this service. I am honestly surprised that paypal hasn't been sued to the ground with these shark tactics, and ebay moreso with their complete anti-competition.

What is the best thing to do here, as a seller? Contact the buyer and tell _them_ to speak to paypal, as they've locked their money away?

Attempt to cancel the order completely? As people have suggested here, the best thing to do to move forward is to move over to Amazon. If I cancel the order I assume that Paypal will have no choice but to refund the money back. They'll no longer be able to hide behind the idea they're protecting anyone.

Thoughts?

Login to Me Too
78 REPLIES 78

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Johnnyfiver 

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for 'new sellers'.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.

Normally for Ebays hold funds are released when tracking shows the item as delivered + 1 days (if you use Ebay / paypal postage).
Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.
http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/payments-and-fees/funds-availability.html

BUT a quick tip on what I did when i started to sell on Ebay, to get around the hold I listed a load of low cost items cheaply (just broke even) but that way my 25 sales were quickly reached and the hold removed. Then I could start selling my usual items at a normal cost without waiting for the funds  😊

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PaulJean1
Contributor
Contributor
Just went thru the same as you everything I am selling is goin into pending , why dont you ship ebay say get ya cash sooner immediately shifting the blame to the seller knowing full well that product and shipping are 2 different items if they only held the product cash for 21 days and freed up delivery instead of both you could at least ship it , it stinks of ebay dishonesty and gaining illegal profit from our buyers money .They need a massive mass action suit to stop their behavior obtaining money by deception .
Login to Me Too

infoplaz
Contributor
Contributor

I sold something 2 weeks ago which was put on hold. The hold was, as stated by Paypal, until 1 day after the buyer had received their item.

It's been 8 days. And they also left feedback 7 days ago.

Looking forward to the immediate release of MY MONEY 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@infoplaz 

Read my post above yours, if its an Ebay transation then Ebay request paypal to hold the funds and Ebay say when Paypal can release those funds.

Try reading the link I posted may help.

Also did you read the bit about feedback making no difference???

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

infoplaz
Contributor
Contributor

This is playing games is what it is bud.

Can't wait for some good competition to Paypal

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@infoplaz 

There are other ways to pay on Ebay, you can pay a lot of sellers directly via card if you want to.

However I don't think Ebays hold has a lot to do with Paypal, Paypals hold is different as per their user agreement, 2 completely different policies.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PessimusPrime
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, we've read your same response that you've repeated a million times in this thread. People are not looking for replies from a company shill like you, and obviously your replies are disregarded in a situation like this. You can repeat all that bs just like a "customer service representative" all you want but obviously the people on this particular thread are not looking for that or looking to read the same response over and over. No one here cares whether they are 2 companies or not, they are still in cahoots with each other, period and they work for one another. But according to you i guess its 100% impossible to ever have any kind of eff up at some point through millions of transactions with their 'perfect' system.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PessimusPrime 

Wow you have read my response a million times in this thread, hmmm not sure i have posted it that many times.

However i will continue to post it when, if and as many times as i wish to, then you may just finally begin to understand it  😁

I'm sure both companies make mistakes HOWEVER Ebay have their payment hold and Paypal have theres.

2 separate companies with 2 separate hold policies, there wasn't rocket science now was it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jspataro99
Contributor
Contributor
I filed claims with the Better Business Bureau and the California Attorney General’s Office for criminal conversion of property and I recommend that you all do the same. The next step is to file a class action lawsuit against both eBay and PayPal for a private claim of civil conversion.
Login to Me Too

Fellyfel
Contributor
Contributor
Funniest part about this is your gave up your right to class action lawsuits in 2012. Almost any top 500 company has user agreements that force arbitration. I’ve dealt with holds, been frustrated and got over it. Frankly if your business relies so heavily on being paid immediately. I’d recommend not using ether platform. Just so you know PayPal and eBay aren’t alone in the world for payment processing holds. Amazon, stripe and square all do them too. It’s based on transaction risk and previous trends. If you sold something that was outside the norm of what you typically transact. If you’ve had a change in rating. Or disputes and or chargebacks these all will effect hold times with any payment processor.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.