Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal illegally holding money

Re: Paypal illegally holding money

Many thanks.
New Community Member

I had a cancelled order through eBay. The buyers money was placed on hold when he originally purchased the item. PayPal took money out of my bank account because I had my bank account as the preferred funding source (even though the buyer’s purchasing money was on hold). when the order was cancelled it took over two weeks before the buyer was refunded apparently from the funds that came out of my bank account and the original purchase money is yes still on hold. The buyer has confirmed with eBay that he received his funds back.. when I called PayPal they indicated that the buyer needed to confirm payment with PayPal. So I told the buyer the instructions the agent had told me and the buyer told me that he does not have a PayPal acct and paid eBay through his bank account. So now what? Oh also, as a side note there is at min a 45 min hold time every time you call eBay. I have literally put in over an 8hr workday with these idiots just being on hold. The agents refuse to give me a case number or any sort of follow up at all. I literally am losing my mind trying to deal with this. I have been nice, yelled, demanded, and bent over backwards trying to deal with all this. It has put every single bill I have behind. Any ideas on how to sue these jerks? - [ ]
Contributor

I have a similar situation. I sell on eBay sporadically since 2001. You can hardly call it a new seller. Everything I sell now is put on hold with a new seller excuse. Recent case got me to the boiling point. Sold an item. It was a local pick up by UPS arranged by a buyer. The buyer didn’t use PayPal to pay. He used credit card on eBay. The buyer got an item. He called PayPal and eBay and told them that everything is ok. He left me a good feedback. PayPal is holding my money indefinitely with some lame excuse of tracking number that don’t match. Every call is hours. When I asked for a supervisor I’m out on hold that is not answered for hours. Meanwhile they charged me more than $300 fees for this transaction I never received money for. I’d like to sue PayPal. Please advise if there is a lawsuit going on we can join. Also it’s the last time I’m selling with PayPal. I will hold until eBay releases their own payment system or switch to other platform. I’m DONE with these thieves.

Couldn't agree more. Have had account limited two times within 3 weeks even after social security card copy was sent in, and driver's license yet they still block multiple bank withdrawals for no reason and told me my bank denied it lol what a joke now im stuck waiting for days to try getting my own money from PayPal. Hello Amazon bye PayPal
Contributor

wIts obvious that Ebay-Paypal uses sellers as a bankomat, forcing them to anticipate the shipping cost and holding their money even when a positive feedback has been received, and it names that  " protection ". If you mail the customer service to explain the situation you will only find person instructed to provide ridicolous apologies ( in my case, after 126 - 100% positive feedback - they have answered me that I have didnt have enough  listing activities). I really do not know if this is an intectional fraud or not, I have just heard that many countries are preparing a class action against this praxis, and that a rising number of 100% positive feedback sellers are leaving ebay-paypal after having experienced that, moving to others platforms.

Its not difficult to forecast that if they will not drastically change direction the company will crash, as many others companies have done after being dominated by greed and stupidity.

Tags (2)
Contributor

Unethical business practices do not become ethical just because hot shot lawyers can write policies that protect them. Holding seller's funds for no solid reason is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Contributor

Wrong, mine is an Ebay item.

Ebay, no problem, Paypal have held it.

Every time I challenge them they come up with another reason for holding funds.

I have been with Ebay/Paypal since 2002, one off Paypal reasons was I was new to selling on Ebay.

When that didn't work they come up with a different reason & so on

The sooner Ebay & Paypal part company the better.

Contributor

They dont have my signature for that updated version of the rules....

maybe they dont have yours either....

Paypal used to be an ebay company : "Shortly after PayPal's IPO, the company was acquired by eBay in July 2002 for $1.5 billion, with a valuation of over $23 a share, or 77% above the IPO price. More than 70 percent of all eBay auctions accepted PayPal payments, and roughly 1 in 4 closed auction listings were transacted via PayPal. PayPal became the payment method used by a majority of eBay users (it was also the default choice), and the service competed with eBay's subsidiary Billpoint, as well as Citibank's c2it, Yahoo!'s PayDirect, Google Checkout, and Western Union's BidPay service, all of which closed in subsequent years." Nowadays eBay is no longer in charge of PayPal after divorce. But that separation seemes like both are co-parenting transactions... So Paypal has the money custody.
Contributor

Still happening despite being sued in a class action! What gives? They make interest off all of us. Why? Why do they continue to hurt sellers?! Awful.