cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal illegally holding money

Contributor

Paypal illegally holding money

Money paid by buyer's on ebay have been put on hold. I sold 4 items - all from an old computer, at once. 3 of those have been unduly put on hold. This has made it so I'm unable to complete the transaction and send out the items. Reading here it seems like it's a total crap-shoot if they'll even release the money after everything has been sent and positive feedback has received. I'm not a new seller and I've never really had any problems or complaints.

This seems like an illegal, and outright gross attempt to hustle members of this service. I am honestly surprised that paypal hasn't been sued to the ground with these shark tactics, and ebay moreso with their complete anti-competition.

What is the best thing to do here, as a seller? Contact the buyer and tell _them_ to speak to paypal, as they've locked their money away?

Attempt to cancel the order completely? As people have suggested here, the best thing to do to move forward is to move over to Amazon. If I cancel the order I assume that Paypal will have no choice but to refund the money back. They'll no longer be able to hide behind the idea they're protecting anyone.

Thoughts?

76 REPLIES 76
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Paypal illegally holding money

@sdfasf

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.

If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.

This is the new seller hold that every single seller on Ebay has or will go through, as its for buyer protection most realise why it happens.

Also its in the legally user agreement that you agreed to when you opened your Ebay account so if you don't

want to go through it then you don't have to sell on Ebay, use another platform and payment processor instead?

Also Ebay feedback has no bearing on payment release. Normally for the Ebay hold its when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days if you use Ebay / paypal postage.

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
Contributor

@kernowlass do a google search and you'll see that ebay owns paypal since 2002. They're the same company. This is how paypal and ebay interfaces API talk to each other on an extremely deep and integrated level. You'd never see that in two separate companies with two separate corporate policies.

I'm not a new seller on either, so this doesn't make sense. I got the email regarding the hold via paypal, and that's where the money is stored now as per the web console. 

Never use an EULA to defend illegal and shark-like actions. It's anti-consumerist and completely naive.

Esteemed Advisor

@sdfasf

Try reading that again as they SPLIT again and have been 2 separate companies since 2015.
That is why they both have had new and separate hold policies for on or off Ebay sales since 2015.

https://www.geekwire.com/2015/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ebay-and-paypals-split-and-how-it-im...

Secondly if you are not a new seller then you can still be put back on the EBAY hold if your star ratings drop etc.

Lastly if you are going to quote something as illegal without any proof then I think quoting a LEGAL user agreement that was endorsed by the FSA in this country has slightly more weight that your comment.

You don't like Ebay and the hold that is fine, you don't have to sell on Ebay do you?

Contributor

@kernowlass

I haven't fallen in "stars". I've never had a complaint. Ebay have confirmed it's Paypal at fault here.

You can look up all the other people complaining about this issue. Paypal putting items on hold, while keeping the fees immediately and keeping the interest. You can state your EULA all you like, but it's immoral, unethical, and absolutely dirty. 

There's little point talking to you though - your tag states volunteer. So you work for free for a company that you shill for. Your bias can't be more obvious. As well as being rude and also unhelpful. You don't need to reply here anymore.

Esteemed Advisor

@sdfasf

Hi I didn't say you had fallen star ratings, I said that you can be put back on the Ebay hold for other reasons, star ratings was an eg but there are many more.

So far you have been wrong about >

1. Stating Ebay owns Paypal.

2. Saying its a Paypal hold when thats impossible for an Ebay transaction.

3. Saying things are ''illegal'' without proof.

4. Saying that you have been put back on the hold by Ebay for no reason, they don't do it for no reason.

Then when all your arguments have been shot down you decide to turn you abuse on me.

I don't work for paypal at all even for free.

I work for the ''users'' of paypal and have lost count of the number of folks I have saved from being scammed.

The kudos / solutions I get (about 6000 so far) are from the USERS of paypal as a thank you for helping them and not from paypal.

I think if you read this thread there is only one person being rude and that is you.

As for my help, I can only give you the facts, I can't give you the intelligence to understand those facts.

Try car boot sales and leave Ebay to us sellers that understand it.

Contributor

1. Stating Ebay owns Paypal.

- I wasn't wrong about this. I didn't realise that had since changed recently, but obviously nothing has _changed_.

2. Saying its a Paypal hold when thats impossible for an Ebay transaction.

-This is true, and has been confirmed by ebay themselves. Hence the message came from paypal, and is held on paypal.

3. Saying things are ''illegal'' without proof.

-It is illegal to withhold funds for no reason, under the guise of "protection". Paypal have obviously skirted the laws and you can see this in multiple threads around the internet if you can google.

4. Saying that you have been put back on the hold by Ebay for no reason, they don't do it for no reason.

-By paypal, again. And for their stated reason is "a high chance this item will disappoint". Which is ridiculous.

"I don't work for paypal at all even for free."

So you waste time online hurling abuse and being incorrect on your forum of choice. That makes more sense.

You haven't offered anything useful, or even correct.

/t5/Fraud-phishing-and-spoof-Archive/class-action-lawsuit-for-HOLDING-MONEY/td-p/70756
/t5/Holds-reversals-reserves/PayPal-Funds-Hold-surely-this-is-illegal/td-p/1194267
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=846785
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2497130

Those are the first 4 links I found, so obviously this is a wide-spread issue. It seems paypal is on a weekly basis **bleep** over its customer base.

I'll move to Amazon like the rest of the intelligent people seem to be doing. My bad for using paypal here to begin with, when they are so fast and loose with the rules & laws

http://www.paypalsucks.com/newforums/chitchat/96005-why-paypal-not-treated-bank.html

Anyway I don't know why I'm arguing with a child on the internet. Enjoy your internet points. I'm sure they'll take you far 🙂

Esteemed Advisor

@sdfasf

1. Yep you were wrong Ebay DOES NOT own Paypal.

2. Nope wrong again, if its an Ebay transaction its an Ebay hold. x2 SEPARATE policies.

Ebay Hold.

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

Paypal Hold.

https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/article/why-are-my-payments-for-non-ebay-sales-pending-and-how-ca...

3. Not illegal according to the law of the land, you not ''liking'' it does not make it illegal.   Smiley Happy

4. If you have been put back on the Ebay hold then there would be a reason, so why not ask them?

I have been selling for 10 years on Ebay and never been put back on the hold, so must be a reason why you are.

5. Nope I don't waste my time on here. If I have saved folks from being scammed then I consider that a good thing to spend my time doing.

As for hurling abuse again try reading this thread as you are the only one that has done that.

As for your silly links, I have already said if you don't like the Ebay or Paypal rules you agreed to when you opened your accounts then close them, not rocket science is it really?

Have fun on Amazon, I sell there as well. However as buyers like Paypal buyer protection I sell more on Ebay.

And personally I am not arguing, I gave you facts and you have argued and been abusive not me.

Oh and marking the post as a solution in the hope it stops someone replying doesn't really work.

Have fun at the car boot sales.  

Contributor

I would humbly disagree about they dont put on hold with out reason - I have 100% feedback from selling never any problem and my money are now on hold 🙂 its not much just £50 but anyway im not amused.Using now just facebook,gumetree,and amazon for selling - I do not accept paypal payments anymore.For anything else except selling are ebay and paypal good but I will never ever use them again for selling.So no need to get frustrated there are different platforms.
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Mrgeekbear 

Odd your posting to a 2 year old thread !!

However if its Ebay you are selling on then its Ebays hold policy (completely separate to Paypals) and Ebay inform Paypal when they can release the funds.

So guess as its Ebays fault you will have to stop using Ebay won't you as you were going to stop using Paypal when you thought it was their hold  😉