Paypal illegally holding money

sdfasf
Contributor
Contributor

Money paid by buyer's on ebay have been put on hold. I sold 4 items - all from an old computer, at once. 3 of those have been unduly put on hold. This has made it so I'm unable to complete the transaction and send out the items. Reading here it seems like it's a total crap-shoot if they'll even release the money after everything has been sent and positive feedback has received. I'm not a new seller and I've never really had any problems or complaints.

This seems like an illegal, and outright gross attempt to hustle members of this service. I am honestly surprised that paypal hasn't been sued to the ground with these shark tactics, and ebay moreso with their complete anti-competition.

What is the best thing to do here, as a seller? Contact the buyer and tell _them_ to speak to paypal, as they've locked their money away?

Attempt to cancel the order completely? As people have suggested here, the best thing to do to move forward is to move over to Amazon. If I cancel the order I assume that Paypal will have no choice but to refund the money back. They'll no longer be able to hide behind the idea they're protecting anyone.

Thoughts?

Login to Me Too
78 REPLIES 78

MarBarOMG
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same PayPal account for 18 years! I use it mostly to send money. I just sold a frig on eBay and now Paypal is holding my money under the pretense that I need the buyer to confirm receipt - did that; then asked me for my W-2 SSN -did that even though they already had it along with the link to my bank account. Now they are asking me for utility bill to show my address, SSN AND driver's license. They have been holding my funds for 10 days! Why should I give them all of this info when I already gave my W2 and they came up with another reason to hold?! They are no live agents by phone and the ones through messages keep sending me in circles!

Login to Me Too

MarBarOMG
Contributor
Contributor
But the app and website wont allow me to upload there’s a glitch where the page won’t refresh!
Login to Me Too

linnex-
Contributor
Contributor
Bollox two separate companies. eBay and pay pal **bleep** in the same pan. Share information and have too similar terms and conditions that are changed at their whim with less ability to hold water than a caulinder full of holes..
Login to Me Too

Doishka
Contributor
Contributor
Still happening despite being sued in a class action! What gives? They make interest off all of us. Why? Why do they continue to hurt sellers?! Awful.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Doishka

They had a class action suit for holding funds over the 180 days for limited accounts.

They were not sued for the 'new seller hold' which is perfectly legal and approved by the FSA in the UK.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

temp20200130m

Honestly just delete your account with paypal, this service is not worth your time. The customer service is absolutely terrible, paypal holds payments or anything regarding money for WAY too long etc..... 

Login to Me Too

BarneyArne
Contributor
Contributor
After six plus years with PayPal and over 1000 selling transactions, PayPal has decided for the safety of my buyers to put a hold on my money. My eBay feedback is 100% positive and I am a power seller. I have had no cases opened and have 2 return cases in almost 7 years. I have a 30 day return policy and will refund even if its buyer remorse. So can anyone tell me why I have a hold on my money. Costumer Service can't tell me. The first two times I called Customer Service they looked at my history and immediately released the payments to me and said the holds stop. They didnt. After many years being happy with PayPal as my payment processor, I will no longer use PayPal if this is the way the treat a honest loyal costumer.
Login to Me Too

Dbran

Yepp i had the same situation, have had to call in more than three times now just to have payments released....

and for the SECOND time was assured it wouldn't happen again..it happens EVERY SALE even for less than a £100....

they come out with all kinds of excuses but the first thing they always say is "we can keep your money for 21 days" 
like it's some kind of privilege of theirs...

so after the last complaint they said their "system" isn't working properly..and wont release peoples payments automatically...strange as this has been going on for a very long time with no changes...so now there essentially lying to your face...

very bad practice to release payments based on customer feedback when 90% of ebay buyers will never leave you feedback good or bad...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dbran

Feedback has not counted for payment release for years.

And as Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies with 2 separate policies for 'new seller holds' then if your is an Ebay hold then Ebay 'authorise' the release of their clients held funds when tracking shows delivery of the item + 3 days (normally).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.