Paypal illegally holding money

sdfasf
Contributor
Contributor

Money paid by buyer's on ebay have been put on hold. I sold 4 items - all from an old computer, at once. 3 of those have been unduly put on hold. This has made it so I'm unable to complete the transaction and send out the items. Reading here it seems like it's a total crap-shoot if they'll even release the money after everything has been sent and positive feedback has received. I'm not a new seller and I've never really had any problems or complaints.

This seems like an illegal, and outright gross attempt to hustle members of this service. I am honestly surprised that paypal hasn't been sued to the ground with these shark tactics, and ebay moreso with their complete anti-competition.

What is the best thing to do here, as a seller? Contact the buyer and tell _them_ to speak to paypal, as they've locked their money away?

Attempt to cancel the order completely? As people have suggested here, the best thing to do to move forward is to move over to Amazon. If I cancel the order I assume that Paypal will have no choice but to refund the money back. They'll no longer be able to hide behind the idea they're protecting anyone.

Thoughts?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sdfasf

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.

If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.

This is the new seller hold that every single seller on Ebay has or will go through, as its for buyer protection most realise why it happens.

Also its in the legally user agreement that you agreed to when you opened your Ebay account so if you don't

want to go through it then you don't have to sell on Ebay, use another platform and payment processor instead?

Also Ebay feedback has no bearing on payment release. Normally for the Ebay hold its when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days if you use Ebay / paypal postage.

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
78 REPLIES 78
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sdfasf

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.

If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.

This is the new seller hold that every single seller on Ebay has or will go through, as its for buyer protection most realise why it happens.

Also its in the legally user agreement that you agreed to when you opened your Ebay account so if you don't

want to go through it then you don't have to sell on Ebay, use another platform and payment processor instead?

Also Ebay feedback has no bearing on payment release. Normally for the Ebay hold its when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days if you use Ebay / paypal postage.

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

sdfasf
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass do a google search and you'll see that ebay owns paypal since 2002. They're the same company. This is how paypal and ebay interfaces API talk to each other on an extremely deep and integrated level. You'd never see that in two separate companies with two separate corporate policies.

I'm not a new seller on either, so this doesn't make sense. I got the email regarding the hold via paypal, and that's where the money is stored now as per the web console. 

Never use an EULA to defend illegal and shark-like actions. It's anti-consumerist and completely naive.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sdfasf

Try reading that again as they SPLIT again and have been 2 separate companies since 2015.
That is why they both have had new and separate hold policies for on or off Ebay sales since 2015.

https://www.geekwire.com/2015/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ebay-and-paypals-split-and-how-it-im...

Secondly if you are not a new seller then you can still be put back on the EBAY hold if your star ratings drop etc.

Lastly if you are going to quote something as illegal without any proof then I think quoting a LEGAL user agreement that was endorsed by the FSA in this country has slightly more weight that your comment.

You don't like Ebay and the hold that is fine, you don't have to sell on Ebay do you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tranwong

"You don't like Ebay...you don't have to sell on Ebay do you?"

That statement is too simplistic to be accurate. It's the non-thinkers way of arguing.

I don't like paying for gas when its $4.00 a gallon. I don't "have" to drive a car, do I? Well, technically no. I do not need to drive a car. However, yes I do need to drive a car because the transit system in my city makes it impossible to get to work and do errands.

Same logic applies to online marketplaces. There are two legitimate sites (legitimate in terms of market reach), ebay and amazon. So yes, you do need to sell on ebay if you cannot do it on amazon. There is no competition other than those two, which own a combined 99% of the market.

Login to Me Too

motherandcub
Contributor
Contributor
Your one of those mugs lol
Login to Me Too

tjhnson
Contributor
Contributor

1.  I've been an eBay buyer/seller since 2002.

2.  I have always maintained a 100% feedback rating.

3.  The only agreement I saw was back in 2002 which evidently was before this new "hold policy" was ever put in place so don't give me that "agreement" crap.

4.  I'm not waiting 21 days to receive funds from a watch I sold on eBay.

5.  I'm refunding payment back to the buyer and closing my eBay and PayPal account.

6.  I'm now selling on Amazon, Craigslist or Swip/Swap.

7.  PayPal and eBay can go **** itself.

Login to Me Too

corfu_ken
Contributor
Contributor

Wrong, mine is an Ebay item.

Ebay, no problem, Paypal have held it.

Every time I challenge them they come up with another reason for holding funds.

I have been with Ebay/Paypal since 2002, one off Paypal reasons was I was new to selling on Ebay.

When that didn't work they come up with a different reason & so on

The sooner Ebay & Paypal part company the better.

Login to Me Too

DubstarUK
Contributor
Contributor

They dont have my signature for that updated version of the rules....

maybe they dont have yours either....

Login to Me Too

UKNOWMERIGHT2
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal used to be an ebay company : "Shortly after PayPal's IPO, the company was acquired by eBay in July 2002 for $1.5 billion, with a valuation of over $23 a share, or 77% above the IPO price. More than 70 percent of all eBay auctions accepted PayPal payments, and roughly 1 in 4 closed auction listings were transacted via PayPal. PayPal became the payment method used by a majority of eBay users (it was also the default choice), and the service competed with eBay's subsidiary Billpoint, as well as Citibank's c2it, Yahoo!'s PayDirect, Google Checkout, and Western Union's BidPay service, all of which closed in subsequent years." Nowadays eBay is no longer in charge of PayPal after divorce. But that separation seemes like both are co-parenting transactions... So Paypal has the money custody.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.