Paypal illegally holding money

sdfasf
Contributor
Contributor

Money paid by buyer's on ebay have been put on hold. I sold 4 items - all from an old computer, at once. 3 of those have been unduly put on hold. This has made it so I'm unable to complete the transaction and send out the items. Reading here it seems like it's a total crap-shoot if they'll even release the money after everything has been sent and positive feedback has received. I'm not a new seller and I've never really had any problems or complaints.

This seems like an illegal, and outright gross attempt to hustle members of this service. I am honestly surprised that paypal hasn't been sued to the ground with these shark tactics, and ebay moreso with their complete anti-competition.

What is the best thing to do here, as a seller? Contact the buyer and tell _them_ to speak to paypal, as they've locked their money away?

Attempt to cancel the order completely? As people have suggested here, the best thing to do to move forward is to move over to Amazon. If I cancel the order I assume that Paypal will have no choice but to refund the money back. They'll no longer be able to hide behind the idea they're protecting anyone.

Thoughts?

Login to Me Too
78 REPLIES 78

farmerboy

I sold an item (quite high value) printed the label and posted it to the buyer....  all good methinks.  UPS Tracking tells me it has been delivered but the buyer opens a case and says not delivered.... he has a card saying item left in porch by Yodel (how yodel got it is a mystery to me).  He does not have a porch.  Yodel customer support check the delivery on GPS tracking and say the driver hit the delivered button outside number 50...the wrong address!  Refuse to deal with me as ebay is the customer... ebay send me around in circles best I can get is online chat.  Case is eventually resolved in my favour but money is still on hold 3 days later.  Poor buyer has no item and I have no payment (yet)... I sent with UPS but Yodel delivered to wrong address, we both are struggling to get anyone to talk to us because of data protection... this system STINKS... the delivery companies seem to be infested with thieving drivers.. who do not give a damn if an item is delivered or not and getting any support is impossible. .....  

..in the meantime I sell another item but the payment is on hold for 21 days!!!  I have told the buyer I am unable to post the item until I am paid.  He has cancelled and I will not be using ebay to sell anything ever again. 

Amazon and Gumtree from now on.....

Login to Me Too

Hobbled1
Contributor
Contributor

I was a new seller. My first 5 items were sold without eBay holding my money. But when i added bank account to PayPal and WITHDREW money, my very next sale had a hold put on it. this show me collusion between PayPal and Ebay. They are definitely handshaking. Passing customer withdrawal details.

Its nothing to do with safeguarding buyer's, but all to do with using sellers money as long as possible. They get the interest. I cannot see how this practice would stand up in a court of law. Sue!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hobbled1

Paypals user agreement was approved by the financial services equivalent in every country they offer it.

As for your hold...........

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for 'new sellers'.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.
Normally for Ebays hold funds are released when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days (if you use Ebay / paypal postage).

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.
http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/payments-and-fees/funds-availability.html

And to be honest as an Ebay seller myself that has gone through the hold then as I know its for buyer protection I do not have a problem with it, it does not last for long and I want buyers so their protection is important as well.

But if you don't want to agree to Ebay and Paypals terms and conditions then you don't need to 'sue' just close your account surely?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Digital_Flight
New Community Member

Hello

This is my story, 6 days ago I sold an item on ebay and was paid via paypal "you know the separate company " even though the person received the item and left feedback, it was also tracked. Paypal held the funds for over 24hr and it took a phone call from me for them to remove the hold on the funds. Finally they released the funds and so I then tried to put the money into my bank. After completing the steps online I got a message to say It can take 2hr for the money to show in my account 3hr later no money 😞 2 phone calls to paypal later, I get told it is a security measure and it could take 3 working day for the money to clear in to my bank. if this is not profiteering from interest then I don't know what is!. This is the first and last time I will ever use paypal

Login to Me Too

whoever81
Contributor
Contributor

You gotta love this Ebay policy. I sold an item with Paypal. Shipped the next day with tracking number. Item was picked up and positive feedback received. My funds however are still on hold 19 days later. Fun times.

Login to Me Too

Moira52
Contributor
Contributor

They are absolutley useless I have recived confirmation and also positive feed back from the item I have sent to the buyer yet they have not released funds. You ask on eBay as a seller for the buyer to pay you postage and packaging costs in order to send the item bought yet you don't recive the funds how if you can't get the funds are you ment to send the parcel. This is a platform for everyone to sell on if you ain't got the money and are relying on reciving the postage and packing cost from buyer to sent your package just to make yourself a little extra money your **bleep**. Absolute disgrace!!!!!

Login to Me Too

MaceoRWhite
Contributor
Contributor
Just happened to me too. Did everything by the book, confirmed everything, uploaded tracking info, confirmed delivery many days ago, good reputation on ebay & the funny thing is a representative RELEASED my funds & guess what their still being held... 5 different reps said funds would be released yesterday & now 24 hours have passed & still nothing... Like you said it's a total crap shoot, they seem to target some & let others go by without any problems. My advice to anyone is to sell items at a slow pace & never any big orders EVER & you don't have to worry about losing too much money with this service if stuff hits the fan. Another funny thing is all the items I sold were low risk none expensive items & the buyers recieved them & were happy. Paypal recieved their funds & me the seller is the only 1 who hasn't recieved a dime. I will be taking legal action soon if my issues aren't resolved & the money that they are holding of mine will multiply times 50 when I'm done... It's absolutely ridiculous that tinterreat good sellers like this & I honestly believe it's not for security reasons but to gain interest off the money that their illegally holding. They let most people do business as usual & then try to raise their capital by targeting select people for interest gains... I'm almost certain of it at this point
Login to Me Too

Urshy

I sold as camera,PayPal put my money on hold for 72 hours and when I finally got it I transfered it to my bank straight away only to be told it would take ANOTHER 72 hrs to get into my bank....PayPal are becoming a nightmare,,i needed my money for my child's Xmas present which I have now being told is getting re sold to another person....

Login to Me Too

Munkee915
Contributor
Contributor

Happened to me as well today.  Have been an eBay and PayPal seller for over a decade with no issues.  eBay says the hold is not on their end as my account is above standard with no issues.  PayPal says its because the transaction looks suspicious on my end because I sold a similar item 2 weeks ago at a different price.  The item 2 weeks ago sold for $20 more because it came with an additional accessory that this one doesn't.  I tried explaining that to them, and the general nature of auctions and how they dont always end at the same price, and that I've never had a complaint filed against me in the decade + I've been selling.  They didnt care.  They just just kept saying "This is the way it works.  Deliver the item and you'll get your money."  It's crap like this that makes me post stuff on Amazon and other sites first before attempting eBay.  Selling on eBay is always a last resort for me.  After this it will become even more rare if I sell at all.

Login to Me Too

Rmyers12000
Contributor
Contributor
The last 4 transactions have been placed on hold. This is beyond ridiculous. I have 100% feedback not a new seller. I have read on many sites PayPal has been doing this more and more to experience near perfect sellers. I hope they aren’t taking everyone’s money getting ready to file bankruptcy. I will start selling elsewhere and hope PayPay or EBay “separate” companies on paper. Smh. Are tied into more companies that are holding others money. Why do they take their cut if the money is on hold? How do they can’t to take their money first? I’m sure the people working the phones at PayPal dislike their jobs right now. A lot of angry upset people calling wanting their money. Meanwhile the executives are living the rich life as long as they can before a lawsuit is filed against them. I want to be one of the people to file against them for abuse of holding the funds. I’m sure some attorney can find out this is an injustice. I know all we have to do is not use them but in the meantime I don’t have my money. How does solve what they are doing is justified? Just legal verbiage that has run it course. Anyone reading this please help find a way to bring a lawsuit against them! You will have thousands to jump onboard. If PayPal isn’t holding your money EBay is. Only “separate” companies on paper!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.