Paypal froze (stole) my money and there's nothing I can do.

LukeE2
Contributor
Contributor

I just liquidated a bunch of collectibles on ebay to raise money to go to Thailand for a year. Before I left I made sure to do a trial transfer to my bank card which worked fine. Today in Thailand I tried again and was told I couldn't transfer the funds.
I called customer service and they said it was a security feature, then they asked me a half dozen weird questions about past addresses to confirm I'm me.  I answered them all but in the end I still cannot withdraw funds. The customer service rep said there's nothing the can do.
They've stolen my money and now I can't pay for my lodging or food for myself and my wife.
Paypal stole my money!
What can I do?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LukeE2 

They hadn't stolen your money. PayPal accounts are country specific. You logged in from outside the US so security is triggered. When you get back to the States you can access the account to withdraw. If you're traveling, you're supposed to let PayPal know so you'll have access to the account. I suggest you call again and let them know you're going to be traveling, giving them your itinerary and need access.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

LukeE2
Contributor
Contributor

Had I known this before had I would've let them know, but now that I've called them and explained it ... and answered their weird stalkerish questions (what car is associated with your address at <removed>--Yikes) I still don't have access. 
I'd be less freaked out but I'm halfway around the world and I need this money to pay for things like rent and food (for both me and my wife)!

Login to Me Too

LukeE2
Contributor
Contributor

And yes I explained to them that I am traveling. Is there anyway to contact a manager?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.