cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal currency exchange rate different than official rate ?!

SOLVED
Contributor

Paypal currency exchange rate different than official rate ?!

Hello,

I just converted some USD to Euros within my paypal account with a paypal conversion rate of 0.8669. but the official rate today is 0.89 !

That is a 11.56 Euros difference, it's huge ! How is that possible ?

I couldn't find any explanation anywhere for such a huge difference between official rates and paypal rates...

So every time I get paid with paypal in USD (which is almost always), they take a commission, plus they take another commission when I convert my USD to EUR ? In the end, paypal is becoming my biggest expense in my professional activity !

If someone could clarify this exchange rate issue, this would be very much appreciated.

Best,

Olivier <removed>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Paypal currency exchange rate different than official rate ?!

@OGsoundFX 

The actual rate to rate exchange rate is not the rate you pay if you buy currency to go on holiday etc as the business supplying you those currencies have to make a profit...same as paypal. 

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-does-paypal-calculate-currency-conversion--exchange-...

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
5 REPLIES 5
Esteemed Advisor

@OGsoundFX 

The actual rate to rate exchange rate is not the rate you pay if you buy currency to go on holiday etc as the business supplying you those currencies have to make a profit...same as paypal. 

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-does-paypal-calculate-currency-conversion--exchange-...

Contributor

That actually makes sense. So paypal takes a commission, but in any case, if I want to convert my dollars into euros I would pay an equivalent commission.

OK, thanks !

Contributor

@OGsoundFX wrote:

Hello,

I just converted some USD to Euros within my paypal account with a paypal conversion rate of 0.8669. but the official rate today is 0.89 !

That is a 11.56 Euros difference, it's huge ! How is that possible ?

I couldn't find any explanation anywhere for such a huge difference between official rates and paypal rates...

So every time I get paid with paypal in USD (which is almost always), they take a commission, plus they take another commission when I convert my USD to EUR ? In the end, paypal is becoming my biggest expense in my professional activity !

If someone could clarify this exchange rate issue, this would be very much appreciated.

Best,

Olivier <removed>

Yes, imho Paypal Males a lot of Money with hidden fees, here: differente between official and PayPal exchange rate. I will avoid paying abroad with PayPal in the future.

Esteemed Advisor

@Chrissus 

Yeah next time you go on holiday abroad and 'buy' some currency to use then you best not use ANY company that provides that currency as you will never get the exact rate to rate straight fee. 

Contributor

A bit of background information that may be of interest: https://www.xe.com/faq/rates_buyorsellrates.php