Paypal caused my bank to charge me $320 in overdraft fees in a 2 week period.

Andrew_Dean
Contributor
Contributor

I don't even understand what paypal was trying to withdrawal from my bank, but they tried on 6 separate occasions, 5 of the occasions I get a $29 overdraft fee, 1 occasion a $25 fee. Then they charged my account for $150, but it is not reflected on my Paypal: Activity. So in total I have paid $320 both to my bank and paypal in a 2 week period, and I don't even know what I paid for.

This is putting a stop on and eventually closing the account material right here. This is the most insane amount of fees I've ever been charged by any service, ever, and I don't understand how it is humanly possible for an automated system to **bleep** someone over this much in a 2 week period. Anyone else have an experience like this? If so, how did you resolve it (IF you did resolve it)?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Andrew_Dean 

After initial bounce, 2 times PayPal will try to get paid and if it doesn't, it will stop but of course it doesn't stop your bank from charging fees if your account is still in the negative for days on end. Multiply this by one or two more transactions where payment is not received by PayPal, the bank fees do rack up.

Since you have no activity reflecting the transactions in your PayPal account, these charges are made without using a PayPal account but the charges are processed by PayPal, like the merchant uses PayPal to process their payments in-store for example, using a point of sale terminal. So these charges have nothing to do with your PayPal account. It is direct charges to your bank account. Or your debit card info was compromised and was used without logging in PayPal so something sketchy happened. Report as fraud.

I would report these charges as unauthorized with your bank and get a new debit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Andrew_Dean
Contributor
Contributor

It was not negative for days on end. Two weeks was being generous. The 7 charges were over 8 days. I did not realize all of these attempts, and overdraft fees were even happening. After the first 3 attempts (totaling $87) happened I even transferred $200 over to my account from another bank. I didn't realize yet I had been charged $87. So after I now placed $200 literally for overdraft protection, paypal then charged me $150 (I don't yet know what it was for), which I didn't realize because I did not pay for anything, and this $150 is not in my paypal: Activity. Then AFTER this $150 put me back in the negative, paypal makes 3 more attempts to charge me for something else. I do not understand what happened, but this is a massive disaster that has caught me off guard.

Login to Me Too

Andrew_Dean
Contributor
Contributor

To add to my original information: I have already confirmed with my bank that 6 of the charges were from 6 separate attempts of paypal trying to withdraw from my account. Again, $150 unaccounted for.

Login to Me Too

Paulio171
New Community Member
They did the same to me last year causing £100 in charges.
Login to Me Too

Sethcbrings
New Community Member
PayPal has done the same exact thing to me. Back in 2018 they charged me 3 times overdraft fess, totaling 87.00$. Since then I've disconnected my bank, but later on I reconnected my bank for transactional purposes. But again they charged me 29.00$ for a overdraft!!! I'm definitely disappointed!
Login to Me Too

Katiesweetness
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal cheering me out of 1000 in random overdraft fees- I’ve disconnected them from my bank because I couldn’t seem to figure out schedule- now since I’ve disconnected bank accounts I’m still getting changers random fees but nothing on my paypal. I don’t even understand how they can chantge my savings account - never did that when the acxounts were connected. PayPal is a rip off. That’s right PayPal you’re quite greedy with the fees and **bleep**.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.