Paypal account negative balance but it is already debit from my account

Hanz1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have purchased one item online on 25/12/2018 and my bank account does not have sufficient money. So the transaction is failed and my account balance is negative. But 2 days ago, another transaction is successfully direct debit from my bank account by Paypal. So I think I have paid the item with my money. However, my account is still negative balance which means I need to deposit the same amount of money into Paypal. So will I pay twice for a single item? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hanz1

When you buy something and don't have enough funds in your bank account then paypal will put your account into negative and then TRY AGAIN a few days later, if that again fails then they will try your back up card if you have one linked.

However if in the meantime you transfer funds 'as well' then whichever payment reaches your paypal balance first will clear the neg balance and the second one will be credited to your balance and you can withdraw it back to your bank account if you wish to.

So as you know paypal have successfully got the money from your bank account then do nothing until that payment hits your balance to resolve the neg balance. (can be up to about a week).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hanz1

When you buy something and don't have enough funds in your bank account then paypal will put your account into negative and then TRY AGAIN a few days later, if that again fails then they will try your back up card if you have one linked.

However if in the meantime you transfer funds 'as well' then whichever payment reaches your paypal balance first will clear the neg balance and the second one will be credited to your balance and you can withdraw it back to your bank account if you wish to.

So as you know paypal have successfully got the money from your bank account then do nothing until that payment hits your balance to resolve the neg balance. (can be up to about a week).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

clcasanov
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I am having the exact same issue. 

When you said:

"in the meantime you transfer funds 'as well'"

Do you mean transfer funds from bank account to paypal account which is currently negative? 

Login to Me Too

IKobi
Contributor
Contributor

Please don't do that, you'll just lose your money and be charged twice, I also have the same issue as Paypal is trying to charge me twice for a purchase I already paid (was already deducted from my bank account).

I suggest you contact support and leave it at that, do not encourage them.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@clcasanov 

Ignore @IKobi  as there issue is totally different to the topic we are discussing.

As i said 'if' you have transferred funds to negate a negative balance but at the same time paypals automated service requested them as well then both payments would transfer, the first to arrive would clear the negative balance and then the second one would be credited and you can withdraw it again if you wish to. 

If you have not transferred the funds but paypal have requested them again (as the first must have failed due to your neg balance) then just leave it as it will take a few days for the payment paypal has requested to transfer to your neg balance to clear it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Desireeeee
New Community Member

Hi! I have the same issue and I will just ignore the negative balance in my paypal account even if it was already deducted to my bank account right? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Desireeeee

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear of the discrepancy with the negative balance. I would suggest waiting a few days for the balance to rectify itself if the funds have been pulled from the bank. If it hasn't adjusted at that point, please reach out to Customer Service. You can see your contact options by clicking Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website.

I hope this can be resolved quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

vas180
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue, negative balance in my paypal account. But the same time the money are missing from the bank account and the report makes it clear that it's been pulled by paypal. This solution seem to be suggesting to add more funds in my bank account and when  they are pulled by the negative paypal account they will be doubled and will remove the negative sum plus will add the same amount in paypal wallet. So then i will be able to return the second payment in the bank. Now leaving the jokes aside, how am i able to contact the payment to paypal support so they clear my "debt" to them without circulating my extra funds that has nothing to do with the previous transaction? I have the bank report that shows clearly the number of paypal payment.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @vas180. Thanks for taking the time to add your comment here on the PayPal Community Forum. It's definitely a concern if your bank debited your bank account and sent money to PayPal, but PayPal did not reflect that on your balance.

It's possible the situation will resolve itself since it takes time for money to work it's way through the financial system and reach PayPal. If that's the case, keep an eye on your PayPal account balance.

If your balance remains negative, please get in touch with Customer Service by logging on to your PayPal account, clicking Contact at the bottom of any page and then selecting the topic that best fits your concern.

If you wish, you may send a Facebook Private Message (https://www.facebook.com/paypal) or you may send a Twitter DM to @AskPayPal.

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.