Payment received on hold

cpoynton86
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I have been with Paypal for many years and have never experienced this issue.

A relatively small payment has been sent to me via friends and family. the money has left the senders account but has reached mine on hold.

Does anyone know why this would happen and what I can do to get it released / stop from happening next time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cpoynton86 

You can refund it if you want to but it would still have to clear from the senders bank account > paypal then as its been refunded it would return to the sender.

Or it could 'fail' if the sender did not have enough funds in their bank account to 'fund' the echeque....thats why you need to wait for it to clear before the funds are really yours.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cpoynton86 

Sounds like an echeque if you have a clearance date? .....

Reasons for a payment being sent as an echeque are...

1. Card needs updating.
2. Recent neg balance.
3. Recent failed bank transfer.
4. High cost payment.
5. High risk transaction.
6. Some friends / family payments.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cpoynton86
Contributor
Contributor

thank you so much for this.

is there a possibility this payment could be returned?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cpoynton86 

You can refund it if you want to but it would still have to clear from the senders bank account > paypal then as its been refunded it would return to the sender.

Or it could 'fail' if the sender did not have enough funds in their bank account to 'fund' the echeque....thats why you need to wait for it to clear before the funds are really yours.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mskeats
New Community Member

It's pretty frustrating though - a friend or family is trying to send an instant payment or at least one that will clear in 24hrs for an emergent issue.

Yet, not only is it asking for shipping info when NOT an product or service (she did not select those options), but it's also telling her that I'll receive the full amount but on my end, I'm deducted $154!!! Total false advertising.

I have sent money from my end and not had an issue - but this transaction I'm speaking of encountered these issues when the money was sent via a request. I think there is lack of mirroring in these two features (a. sending money without request vs b. sending with a request)

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mskeats 

If you wanted a friends / family payment that would have been instant then you should not have sent a money request.

A 'money request' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
An 'invoice' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
'Send money > goods/services' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
A 'business account paypal.me' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.
A 'paypal.me personal account' is a friends/family payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

anilroy309
Contributor
Contributor

my firt payment on hold why can you i help for release my money

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.