Payment on hold for "government regulations"

robotbacon
Contributor
Contributor

In all of my years with PayPal, I've never seen this message on a payment :

"We've temporarily put this payment on hold while we verify that it complies with regulatory requirements. We'll contact you about this within 24-72 hours. To learn more, see PayPal goods or services regulations." (The link is dead in both this message and the email.)
A different message was in the payment email:

"To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. This payment is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account for other transactions."

The payment is for $10 worth of common action figures; I don't have any disputes with anyone and I file my taxes. Buyer is one state away from me, and we're bot verified. I've been on PayPal for many years and even have a PP debit card. Has anyone else ever seen this message? Is it about ME, or is it about the person who paid me? Very confused right now.

If anyone else has faced this, can you tell me what it's all about?

Login to Me Too
77 REPLIES 77

MattMusson
New Community Member

I purchased a book by Mahammad Ali from the El Paso Goodwill.

It triggered this review.

Login to Me Too

bestcee
New Community Member

I purchased Mornings Made Easy! First Grade Morning Work by Tweet Resources and The Ultimate Introductory Phonics Bundle. No idea which of those has triggered words, but they do. Apparently teaching children to learn is scary to the government?

Login to Me Too

oldkookskater
New Community Member

I got that message when trying to order an OEM emissions vapor hose with purge valve to replace a stuck valve on my car that's causing problems. And because Paypal wants to "review this transaction" the retailer (big name in auto racing selling OEM Ford parts) canceled the transaction while Paypal takes my money. 

I will NEVER use Paypal again for any transaction and will cancel my account with them over this.  Been on hold 20 minutes to talk with them; this is ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

Poodlelady

I had a payment held for up to ten days. It was to my dog handler in NY. I had sent it by PayPal as he used PayPal payments for show expenses and I wanted it there quickly as he was headed to another show. But no, not only did he have to pay 60+ dollars for the service, it was held. I called PayPal and they said the hold was required by the NSA. NOW mind you this payment was between US citizens living in the US. THERE were no foreign connections. There was nothing I could do. It was released about 4 days later. So NSA is way over zealous in their information collection. I nor my handler are not controversial in any way.  I'm a retired public school teacher and he has been a handler for over 30 years. We have no privacy protections even with the 4th amendment. 

Login to Me Too

I had this happen to me for ordering "Persian Lime and Ginger" air freshener.
Login to Me Too

RobinQuilts
Contributor
Contributor
This just happened to me. My sin? I bought thread from Kentucky - one of the colors is Tabriz Orchid. (Tabriz is apparently a city in Iran) This is beyond stupid.
Login to Me Too

Sherri2
Contributor
Contributor

I had this happen to me.  I just bought Cosmetics.   Names: the Fire Eater, The Fortune Teller, Pier Reviewed, filler episode.  Seller is in Florida and I'm in California. Bought from her before lots of times.  In fact bought from her again five minutes after the first one and the second one went through just fine.  Payment was refunded to me for some reason.  I went back and tried to F & ; the money and the same thing happened.   Now I'm stuck waiting since we can't cancel the transaction.  Called PayPal and they were no help.  They couldn't even tell me if the seller had received an email she was suppose to respond to.  PayPal said it was random.  I asked how it could be random when I'd bought several things the same day via PayPal and they did the review thing when I tried to f & f the money.  That is two separate transactions, three days apart.  PayPal,said computer must have recognized it was the same thing.  Seems strange to me. Only things that were the same was the amount and the email address of the gal I  paid.  First time I paid through the PayPal option in her store, second time. f & f.   

Login to Me Too

Brink182
Paypal just told me my transaction was on hold when I tried to send a friend $3 through paypal.me. I sent her $2 on Thursday just fine and I've bought and sent friends up to $35 before just fine.
Login to Me Too

Sherri2
Contributor
Contributor

I have started using my CC as much as possible because I don’t want I to to happen again.  The most aggravating part is that they don’t seem to have enough security people do check these because it timed out for me.  If they don’t review it within 72 hours, they have to refund you.  When that happens, I made the mistake of trying to pay again via friends & Family.  They put the hold on that too.  Took 5 Days all together for me to pay the seller.  Only reason I got the cosmetitics is because she is a small business and I was able to contact her and ask her to hold them.  I will probably get one of those refillable Visa card things so I’m not using anything attached to my checking account and just use that when I can.  

Login to Me Too

Elise_Grimwald
Contributor
Contributor
They are doing to this to me, too. All I tried to buy are some anime dvds directly from the distributor. Titles: Log horizon season 2 part 1, Log Horizon season 2 part 2, The good witch of the west, No Game, No Life, Chaika The Coffin Princess, Little Busters Refrain. Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei herz! Seriously, this is lame. It's anime. From the distributor. Do these transactions ever EVER clear? One of the dvds they say is limited stock. I likely don't have 3 days. :(.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.