Payment on Hold - No Shipping Needed

Copywriter1986
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

New to this community! I have just received my first payment for a copywriting job I have done for some chaps across the pond in the US of A. I got the payment received email and thought nothing of it until I tried to buy an urgent (yes, very urgent, plane ticket). Funds are on hold, ok....why?

I understand that there are certain KYC things and that much of the PayPal business comes through eBay and services that require the seller to post an actual product or object to the buyer....this is not the case with me. I wrote something for the guy, and he wants to pay me now. Simple.

I provided the service first, invoiced the buyer, received the payment aaaaaand.....no money here. 21 day wait!!! WHAT?!

Had to borrow money for the flight!

Here is the key part.....

I called the Netherlands PayPal customer care, and they informed me that if I got the buyer to call them in his own country, they would release the funds immediately. They also informed me that for a few more transactions, this delay will take place!!! Even if it is the same buyer 😞

OK, I thought, this is not so bad, I'll just call the seller. So I had to bother the guy to call up the local CS people, and they told him I just had to wait 21 days. It's pretty sucky, as I could really do with the cash right now.

Does anyone know the actual procedure here? Can I get the money faster like my Dutch CS guy said? Or is he wrong and the 21 day wait is immovable.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

whodafa

So sorry to hear. Found this on PayPal site. I know it doesn’t help you in your current situation. But it’s information. You’re lucky to have been able to speak with someone at PayPal. Here in the USA it doesn’t happen. 

What does it mean when funds are unavailable, or on hold?
PayPal may place a payment hold - for usually 21 days or less - in case there’s an issue with your order. When a payment hold is placed on your account, the money still belongs to you and once we get confirmation your buyer received the item they ordered in the condition promised, the funds will be available for withdrawal.

Why could your funds be temporarily unavailable?
We may place reserves, limitations, and other holds on your account (you can read more about them in our User Agreement), but here are some of the reasons why we might place a hold on your account.

1. You’re a first-time seller. When you’re a new PayPal seller, it takes time to build up enough history to demonstrate a pattern of positive buyer-seller transactions. The good news is you can usually move out of this status by confirming your identity and building up a history of positive selling activity.
  2. You haven't sold in a while. When your selling activity has been dormant for a long time, it will also take time to rebuild a history of positive buyer-seller transactions.
  3. Multiple customers filed for a refund, dispute or chargeback. If multiple customers file for a refund, dispute, or chargeback, it can delay the availability of your funds. The best way to resolve this is to work directly with your customers to prevent, or solve, disputes and chargebacks. Sometimes it’s possible that your customer filed for a refund, dispute or chargeback because someone illegally used their PayPal account to buy something. We ask that you hold off on shipping any items when this happens.
  4. Your selling pattern appears unusual or changed. An unusual sales activity includes: a recent spike in sales or a change in your average selling price, business platform or type of item being sold.
  5. You’re selling higher risk items. Higher risk items can include tickets, gift cards, consumer electronics, computers, and travel packages. 
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

since you have no tracking which shows you have shipped and it was delivered,then you just have to wait.

some sellers in USA will just ship a thank you note with tracking,$2.66 for domestic shipping and it will be released 3 days after delivery.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.