Payment gets released once I’ve given tracking number?

Sb1988
So I’ve just sold an item on gumtree and they buyer has sent payment through PayPal! I’ve received a notification in my junk box saying the payment will appear in my account once I give the tracking order? Is this true. And not a scam? Help please
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sb1988 wrote:
Ok thanks so if the person would have sent the payment I would be able to see it in my PayPal account and not need a tracking number to release payment?

Once someone sends payment you will see it, no matter what (hold or not) BUT if it is on hold in your account and you see it on hold, THEN you process your customer's order and ship via PayPal shipping from within the transaction details and the tracking number gets uploaded to the payment transaction, then PayPal releases your money upon delivery via tracking number. See how that works? And that's only if PayPal puts a hold on it AFTER you see your payment.

You need a payment transaction showing in your account. Some scammers send fake emails to trick you and say they paid but they really didn't if you do not check your account and look for a transaction.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sb1988 

Scam. PayPal does not hide payments asking for tracking numbers, gift cards, paying a third party, using another payment processor first. That's not how PayPal works. 

When someone has REALLY paid, you will see record of payment fairly instantly in your account. Even if the payment is subject to paypal's 21 day funds availability hold. You also get a very basic PayPal email confirmation saying who paid, how much, for what, and transaction ID and not much else. If you log on and do not see payment, you have no been paid. The point is to trick you into sending goods without paying.

Login to Me Too

Sb1988
Ok thanks so if the person would have sent the payment I would be able to see it in my PayPal account and not need a tracking number to release payment?
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sb1988 wrote:

Once someone sends payment you will see it, no matter what (hold or not) BUT if it is on hold in your account and you see it on hold, THEN you process your customer's order and ship via PayPal shipping from within the transaction details and the tracking number gets uploaded to the payment transaction, then PayPal releases your money upon delivery via tracking number. See how that works? And that's only if PayPal puts a hold on it AFTER you see your payment.

You need a payment transaction showing in your account. Some scammers send fake emails to trick you and say they paid but they really didn't if you do not check your account and look for a transaction.

Login to Me Too

Sb1988
Thankyou
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sb1988 

You're welcome. 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.