Paying off a negative balance - mission impossible?

playford69
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

After 2 hours on the phone with Paypal's crack team of highly trained agents, I cannot seem to find a solution to give Paypal my money to pay off my account and close this damn thing once and for all.

A purchase 2 months ago, which was supposed to come off my credit card (as was both my prefered way to pay and the option I selected for that specific purchase), but for unexplained reasons, Paypal's system attempted to take it from a bank account (back up option) that had no funds. I was dinged $35 NSF, and then again the next day, and then the next. So far, despite Paypal agents telling me to 'rest assured', the system continued to plug away, belligerently, in 6 vain attempts to get that money from my account, like getting blood from a stone.

Despite having proof that my credit card was the prefered payment option, I am stuck with 6 X $35USD = $210 which Paypal doesn't deem itself responsible. Okay, not going to argue with English as a second language agents, so I decide to just pay off the negative balance with a credit card. No, as you are probably thinking, something that simple cannot go that easily, and you are right! The only option I have online is to transfer from that defunct bank account or, a 20th century option, mail a check in. Well, as I consider faxes and mailing checks a thing of the past, I decided to phone in directly and pay it off with my credit card. The agent tries my card, which has no restrictions and that I use frequently, and he cannot process it. Now, he says, the only remaining option I have is to mail a check to Omaha, in US funds ONLY! I live in Canada, and that isn't even in the cards. I asked if there was a Paypal Canada address, like ebay has, and of course, they don't, because they are so flexible and accommodating. 

Now I am stuck in limbo. The agent uttered the tired old mantra of putting my issue in my file, and anyone who has dealt with Paypal for any amount of time, will realise there is no info stored in your file, which is why you have to explain everything over and over again with these fools.

Does anyone who had the patience to read through this rant know of anything I can do or has anyone had this vicious circle of stupidity happen to them? I  just want to pay them and go my merry way and never hear their name again, but I feel like I am trapped, like Michael Corleone - "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" or they keep me in in this case.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@playford69 

The easiest way is to get a family member or mate to send a family / friends payment TO your paypal account in the amount of the negative balance to clear it.

Then as long as they use funds in their paypal balance OR their bank account there shouldn't be a fee.

You can then pay them back however you want to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@playford69 

Take out a cash advance on the credit card at a bank, then deposit the funds in to the bank account.  

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

playford69
Contributor
Contributor

Bank account is in New York, I am in Montreal. Your idea isn't bad, it is just that the onus shouldn't be on the customer to jump though hoops to simply pay a balance.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@playford69 

The easiest way is to get a family member or mate to send a family / friends payment TO your paypal account in the amount of the negative balance to clear it.

Then as long as they use funds in their paypal balance OR their bank account there shouldn't be a fee.

You can then pay them back however you want to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

playford69
Contributor
Contributor

An update: 

Paypal collections was able to help. The agent recorded our payment agreement and the amount of money was stated clearly. An hour later I get an email from my credit card issuer telling me that Paypal had indeed took their money, but much more than what was agreed to. When I checked my PP account, sure enough they did, but put that difference back into my account, but after they took their conversion fee, a fee that doesn't reflect the real world, btu a nice padded one in their favour. So now i am stuck with that money in my PP account and nowhere to transfer it too, as my bank account is closed. My credit card issuer tells me that this is fraudulent business practice and that they will try to reverse that transaction and that I should think of small claims court. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.