PayPal took money from my bank without permission (negative balance)

Jessjange
New Community Member
I Have just checked my bank and noticed £18 has been taken out from PayPal without my permission. I have a negative PayPal balance but I was going to pay it back soon (sorting finances out) but then without my permission I see PayPal has already taken it out of my bank without my consent,What's even worst is my PayPal account is still negative. I needed the money i had in my bank desperately,But now PayPal has taken it,I don't know what to do. Please help.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jessjange 

Hmm, the only time I know when PayPal goes into your bank account is when an add funds transaction is initiated or a bank account transaction is made as a purchase. If your bank account was insufficient, causing your PayPal balance to go into the negative, that does not stop the transaction cold in its tracks, it continues. PayPal makes up to 2 more attempts in the space of about 6 days. So you must add funds to your bank account and if funds were deposited in the interim from your paycheck or whatever and in your mind it is allocated to something else, PayPal is not responsible for that. If you do not add funds to your bank account, then overdraft fees are applied by your bank and if you use bank debit card as back up to the bank payment, then PayPal will tap the card for the funds which will again be taken from your bank account.

So why or how did your balance get in the negative in the first place? 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jessjange 

If you had a failed bank transfer because you did not have enough funds in your bank account then paypal will credit the seller upfront and continue to try and access the funds from your bank account.

As you authorised the original payment then they have every right to try and continue to access those funds to reimburse themselves.

Funds leave your bank account but as it goes via ACH in batches takes several days before it hits your paypal balance and negates the neg balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

OfficeChick1960
New Community Member

How do I get PayPal to give me the money back? I can't find a phone number!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.