PayPal forcing me to convert currency

Kieranlon
Contributor
Contributor

I have an Irish PayPal business account. I receive some payments in dollars and would like to withdraw those dollars into a dollar bank account that I set up specifically for this purpose.  However, PayPal automatically coverts the dollars to Euros when I try to withdraw them (so my bank has to convert them back, and I lose a huge amount on the currency conversion fees). I've spoken to PayPal 4 times on the phone about this and they lied to me on three occasions, before finally telling me it was PayPal policy. The first time they said it was my banks fault and told me to contact my bank (which I did, to no avail). The second time they said I just needed to change the primary currency of my account (which I did, to no avail). The third time they tried again to tell me it was my banks fault and that they could do nothing about it (another lie). On the fourth occasion they told me that it was PayPal's policy and that I had signed up to these terms. Obviously they make money on the conversion so that's why they have this policy. I submitted a complaint through their complaints system but I haven't even received a confirmation of receipt.

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

Maryo990
Same here. I had managed to change the currencies of my credit cards before. Well, they expired and now I have the same problem again. Last time it took me more than a month
Login to Me Too

bruno_leal
Contributor
Contributor
Any update on this? How can this be legal? I have USD, I want to spend USD. I have USD in Paypal and I want to transfer them to me Revolut account so I can spend them in a trip I'm doing next month to Atlanta. Called PayPal and they want me to transfer to Revolut in eur to then convert back to USD... How can this be legal?
Login to Me Too

miky98

this is crazy! I would accept it if PayPal applying a market exchange rate! But they will charge more or less 5% of fees!! Crazy! I will never use PayPal again

Login to Me Too

RPP123

Hey guys, is there any solution to solve this issue?

Before PayPal was charging $5 to transfer the money to my local USD acc and everything was great. Today I tried to send the funds and they are converting them into my local currency which a big a loss?

Login to Me Too

Scarahfluff
Contributor
Contributor
Same here. I am trying to transfer my dollars. They want to turn it to euros. So dollars euros then pounds. Definitely time to contact the ombudsmen. I cant afford to loose 400 dollars.
Login to Me Too

Houchantha
Contributor
Contributor
Want money from Paypal to come back to the bank
Login to Me Too

Natalya111
Contributor
Contributor
Has anyone solved this problem? I don't believe that it is legal to force people to convert the money! Their support doesn't answer questions. Please tell me if anyone created the way to not convert currency
Login to Me Too

GOTH-3Designs
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue, Paypal support  said it wasn't possible to transfer USD to a USD bank account due to regulation in Europe (so you have to pay mandatory fees of 3.5% which is completely crazy). Of course this legal reason is completely false. I have no issue with TransferWize.

It's robbery plain and simple.

Login to Me Too

zorkep
New Community Member

Still the same issue. Converts Euro to HUF then my bank back to EUR as my account is in EUR. Exchange range is very bad! 1 eur is 343 when it whould be 356. On a 80 eur transfer they rip me off by 2,1 eur which doesn't sound a lot but what the heck PayPal? I'm closing my account!!!

Login to Me Too

kloshar4o
Contributor
Contributor

Found a solution,

Send an email to <Removed> with the subject line "Change My CC currency to ... (your currency)" along with an authorization to change the currency of your card in your PayPal account along with the last 4 digits of the card number along with your registered email address. Also, send the email from your registered PayPal email address

When you link any card to your PayPal account, it always registered with your local currency, and for this reason, the system always converts your withdrawal to your local currency when you tried to withdraw it from your PayPal account

Hope this helps

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.