PayPal.Me seller protection?

JohnnyRobUK

I've sold an item for £650 to a buyer via facebook who paid me via a paypal.me account, but I was unable to add a tracking number & no verified address (in fact no address, whatsoever) was displayed so with the buyers agrement I have refunded with the intention of sending an invoice.

On attempting to send an invoice I am only given two options - "Split a bill" or "Basic request".  No expected "Goods or services" option is seen. When using the "Basic request" I am unable to add any details concerning the item that I have seen before when sending an invoice & thus will have no buyer protection.

Am I missing something here or is paypal.me really not the right payment method when selling goods?  The latter seems to be the case.

TIA

JR

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnnyRobUK wrote:

Thanks - I did wonder if this was the case but was confused as I've been charged fees which (IIRC) is not normally the case when persoanl (non goods payment) is made.

I've tried to send an invoice, but as stated before it will not allow me.  Even when I input just the email address paypal automatically reverts to the paypal.me ID, with the two options stated & "no goods or services" option

You are sending a money request (which you can select "basic request", and you can't select goods and services for the sender, they have to do it and select mailing address), not a PayPal invoice, entirely different thing.

To send a PayPal invoice, go to the Summary page and there should be a "Manage Invoices" button on the right column (if our user interface is the same, I'm in the US). Should be self-explanatory, intuitive. Click Create Invoice, fill in the invoice fields and send. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnnyRobUK wrote:

I've sold an item for £650 to a buyer via facebook who paid me via a paypal.me account, but I was unable to add a tracking number & no verified address (in fact no address, whatsoever) was displayed so with the buyers agrement I have refunded with the intention of sending an invoice.

On attempting to send an invoice I am only given two options - "Split a bill" or "Basic request".  No expected "Goods or services" option is seen. When using the "Basic request" I am unable to add any details concerning the item that I have seen before when sending an invoice & thus will have no buyer protection.

Am I missing something here or is paypal.me really not the right payment method when selling goods?  The latter seems to be the case.

TIA

JR

The person sent you a personal payment instead. Sender can elect to send a personal or goods and services payment with Paypal.me and probably was not paying attention and skipped over the option to indicate the payment type.

Payments on PayPal invoices and money requests are considered goods and services payments automatically so no need to indicate it, just enter the info of what you sold.

Or just tell the buyer to send money from the Send & Request page of their PayPal account and indicate "Paying for item or service" just under the amount field during the payment process and add a thorough description of what is being sold.

Login to Me Too

JohnnyRobUK

Thanks - I did wonder if this was the case but was confused as I've been charged fees which (IIRC) is not normally the case when personal (non goods payment) is made.

I've tried to send an invoice, but as stated before it will not allow me.  Even when I input just the email address paypal automatically reverts to the paypal.me ID, with the two options stated & "no goods or services" option

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnnyRobUK wrote:

Thanks - I did wonder if this was the case but was confused as I've been charged fees which (IIRC) is not normally the case when persoanl (non goods payment) is made.

You are sending a money request (which you can select "basic request", and you can't select goods and services for the sender, they have to do it and select mailing address), not a PayPal invoice, entirely different thing.

To send a PayPal invoice, go to the Summary page and there should be a "Manage Invoices" button on the right column (if our user interface is the same, I'm in the US). Should be self-explanatory, intuitive. Click Create Invoice, fill in the invoice fields and send. 

Login to Me Too

JohnnyRobUK

Thanks.  They've now resubmitted the payment as "Goods & Services" which looks good although they want me to send it to a Parcel Motel address (like a PO box) in Northern Ireland although they are in the republic.  I now need to get them to sort the address out...!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.