Partial Refund and unwarranted fee

Searcher7
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me why PayPal is holding my partial refund hostage and threatening to withdraw a fee if I have it transferred to my bank, when I'm sure they received a fee on the original transaction? (And probably even the refund on the seller's side).

Under the "Transfer it to your bank " option it says "move money to your bank in minutes for a small fee. Or in about a day for free".

And under the "Keep it in PayPal" option it says, "Let's set you up with a PayPal cash account so you can send or spend right from PayPal". I already did this years ago, and shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get money transferred back to my bank when it belongs to me. I already took a loss on the original bad transaction.

And I just get the usual website run-around with no real way to contact anyone from PayPal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Darren

Staten Island, New York.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Searcher7 

No, you did not do this years ago.

It is due to a recent PayPal personal account policy change that we have to convert our regular PayPal balance to a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance account (long story). Nothing to do with getting a PayPal Cash Card if you don't want one. This just involves how your PayPal balance operates.

Select "Keep it in PayPal" and confirm/provide some account information (Name, billing address, DOB, SSN), then once that is successfully confirmed, you may continue to withdraw to your bank for free/use your PayPal balance as usual.

When you don't convert to PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance account, (and unless things have changed) you may withdraw to your linked bank account for free every time you have an incoming payment by accepting or claiming it or to a debit card withdraw (for the 1% fee). You won't be able to park funds in your PayPal balance.

Choice is yours.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Searcher7 

No, you did not do this years ago.

It is due to a recent PayPal personal account policy change that we have to convert our regular PayPal balance to a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance account (long story). Nothing to do with getting a PayPal Cash Card if you don't want one. This just involves how your PayPal balance operates.

Select "Keep it in PayPal" and confirm/provide some account information (Name, billing address, DOB, SSN), then once that is successfully confirmed, you may continue to withdraw to your bank for free/use your PayPal balance as usual.

When you don't convert to PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance account, (and unless things have changed) you may withdraw to your linked bank account for free every time you have an incoming payment by accepting or claiming it or to a debit card withdraw (for the 1% fee). You won't be able to park funds in your PayPal balance.

Choice is yours.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Searcher7
Contributor
Contributor

And again, I said I did this years ago. By that I meant I had to jump through hoops to get PayPal to transfer money received all the way to my bank account.

Now they are sitting on my money again, regardless of what the stated reason is. It comes down to collecting more fees. This time on a partial refund due me.

And there is no logic in selecting "Keep it in PayPal" when that isn't what I want to do. And doing so brings up no request/option to "provide some account information".

Darren

Also, my problem is not solved. So I don't understand why this thread is marked with 1 accepted solution.

Darren

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Searcher7,

I'm sorry to hear about the frustration you're experiencing. The faster transfer to your bank does involve a fee. Transferring via the normal ACH process is free, but takes longer.

Keeping your funds in your PayPal account now requires a Cash or Cash Plus account

I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Searcher7
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me what the "normal ACH process" is? It's been almost three months since that partial refund was sent to me, and it is still sitting in limbo.

Thanks.

Darren

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Searcher7

Great question! The ACH process is used to fund a payment that is sent through a PayPal account. It's like writing a check, but you send it electronically. Your payment will show as pending until the transfer clears the bank. It usually takes up to up to 6 business days for an ACH transfer to clear and the money to appear in the recipient’s PayPal account.

Your specific expected clearing time on your refund would depend on when the refund started, and what your original funding source would be. 

Hope that clears everything up,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Searcher7
Contributor
Contributor

It actually clears nothing up.

It's been over three months and the money has still not been transferred to my bank.

Funny how PayPal has no trouble taking money from my bank account, but I need to now re-enter that bank account info to get my refund?

Darren

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hi @Searcher7

I can understand why you would be upset if it has taken 3 months! 

This is something that you'd want to work with our customer service team regarding. You can obtain our contact information by going to the 'Contact' section at the bottom of the PayPal webpage. 

Thanks, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

Searcher7
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that already and received no response.

Darren

Login to Me Too

Searcher7
Contributor
Contributor

Here we are in the second half of August and I've still not received an answer from PayPal.

I Now have $116.27 sitting here.

Darren

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.