PAYPAL SECURITY HOLD ON TRANSFER/WITHDRAWAL

nicolekristine
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I added my new debit card to my PayPal account and verified my ACH transfers with the same bank the debit card is with. I then requested PayPal to transfer my $50 balance from my PayPal wallet to my debit card and paid the $0.25 fee to have it transferred within 30 minutes. As soon as I clicked complete PayPal notified me that my transfer is under review via email saying - "For security reasons, we need a bit more time to review your transfer request. This process can take up to 24 hours. If it passes our review, we'll release it and then the regular withdrawal timeframe (about 30 mins) will then take effect. We'll email you as soon as we have an update." (No further emails since they've sent this one...)

Is there any way I can help resolve this issue and receive my money? I also have an additional $45 that I want to transfer to my debit card. If I try to transfer that to my debit card now will that also get bumped into a security review since the 1st one is still under review? Anyone have any idea how long this is going to take? So far I've been disappointed with how long every transaction I try to do on PayPal takes! It used to be instantaniously for mostly everything but lately all my transactions hit a dang block of some sort. It makes me look into other services moving forward.I called PayPal and waited on hold for 30 minutes to see if I personally talked to an agent maybe they can help verify that it is my personal debit card and I requested the transfer so there is no need to place a hold on my money for security reasons. The agent told me there's nothing I can do and that it can actually take up to 72 hours(!!) to resolve through their system.

edit - tried to transfer my remaining $45 and same thing happened. ANOTHER security hold. Called paypal again and they could not give me any answers they act completely clueless! Tried to blame it on my bank and this time told me it may take DAYS to get my money. Made ZERO sense with what she was saying. I called my bank and everything is gravy on their end. This is all paypal being shady af. Unhelpful. Stupid. Unintuative. 

Login to Me Too
103 REPLIES 103

tiggerhans
Contributor
Contributor

when the first transfer wass put on hold, what you should have done, is simply wait 24 hours and then try again. No one knows that and paypal doesn't inform you about that. If paypal would inform you that you had to wait 24 hours there would be less stress among paypal users.

What happens is, the moment you click on transfer again, that money authomatically (!) is put on hold again another 24 hours. If you try to transfer that second amount, it will happen again.

What you should do, is, wait (in this case) 48 hours, and then transfer the full amount at once (if nothing has been transfered yet), waiting 48 hours is to avoid the risk that you click one minute ahead of the end of the 24 hours and extend the "on hold" again.

Finally, any money in paypal is not "yours". Believe me, pp will easily put it on hold for 180 days, (!) if you are to active receiving money on your pp account. Even if that means you will suffer famine in this corona crisis, they don't care. Anyway, give yourself 48 hours and then it should be solved

Login to Me Too

Cmiller1982
Contributor
Contributor
I encountered this problem today. I was visiting my bf in texas. I hadn't seen him in 6 months n was unaware that he was suddenly addicted to heroin. The worst part is I didn't know until he beat me up the other night cause I said i wouldn't give him money and that I was leaving. He made off with everything. The police are involved. But so far I am stranded n without food or shelter in a state I don't know and know Noone. Some friends sent me money thru PayPal (so I could satay in a motel until they find my car) cause the only card he did not get was a prepaid visa I had only ever used in time and actually that was for a transfer from PayPal. To the card. I have actually only used PayPal twice. This being the second. And both for the same thing, using the same card. And they put my money on hold today because they said I had asked for a transaction that was unusual in my pattern therefore it's a security issue. I am furious. I will be shelter less again tonight all because they somehow belive out of 2 transaction total ever there's a pattern. Unreal. I will never use them again
Login to Me Too

Jonmike
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Nicole Kristine, I was just wondering how long it ended up taking for the funds to be released to your debit card from PayPal? I’m having the same exact problem and I’m just trying to see how long it’s going to take for me. Was this matter ever resolved?
Login to Me Too

DeDeMich
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All-

I have had this happen several times...What usually happens is, if you can remember when you tried to make the transaction, count 24 hours from the time you made the transfer. Within 15-30 minutes of that time, YOUR MONEY WILL BE IN YOUR ACCOUNT. I'm tiffed because yesterday, I got the 24 hour hold on my ACH transfer after their INSTANT TRANSFER system went on the blink...So I'm assuming that today, they will release the hold around 12, and my money will be there TOMORROW...Paypal is getting ridiculous with this 24 hour hold stuff...This is money people are sending me from their PAYPAL balance; not a bank or credit card account...AND YOU STILL WANT TO HOLD IT FOR 24 HOURS?!?!?!? SMH...

Login to Me Too

DeDeMich
Contributor
Contributor

Nicole the money will be there today. If you can remember what time you did the transfer, it will be there within 15-30 minutes TODAY from that time. It's a pain in the **bleep**, and they WON'T refund you the .25 fee they charged for the service...SMH...

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal is people and machine,people cant change the machine,in the future,plan accordingly.

Paypal is a nifty tool,but dont bank on it 100%,have some idle cash,have a local bank account where you can use ATM or check to obtain cash.

and dont forget the mattress.

Login to Me Too

Ghostgenesis

Just attempted a transfer, had no pattern whatsoever because i usually dont withdraw money from paypal i use to to make online purchases...so BOOM hit with a security timer or whatever...shaking my **bleep** head. Paypal must be losing alot of business...its already a hassle getting your money off of sites like these (ironically, there is no security timer when giving them your hard earned money, oh no thats instant!)...sometimes we should all wonder who comes up with these annoying policies to inconvenience customers. Wonder why most businesses have no longevity. Money is like blood nowadays, and there really is no reason for your blood to be placed on a hold randomly, under review by a stupid machine probably riddled with errors. Whether you need the money for rent or for food, its irelevent to talk about the hindsight that you should always have money on hand...sometimes paypal is your on hand money. Its a service its suppose to help you not torture you and tease you with your own money. Ive been placed on 2 holds of some sort, the first was a pending hold i had to call to get removed...now this security hold is one no one who works there knows about or can even affect. At the end of the day PayPal, ask yourself how many people are attracted to the idea of having there money played with in this day and age? Why bother go through this pointless hassle with a slight learning curve, over just having a bank, or using netspend...or even **bleep**ing google pay etc... Whos going to put up with your **bleep** years down the line? Not me because i had enough. Its not even really about the money its the principle and the disrespect you have for your customers. maybe adopt a better company attitude and appreciate your customers and love them...because the scum way never pays off in the end. Just being honest...just being real. Oh well...anyway, just gotta swallow this one but i will never forget this frustration next time i think about using paypal!

Login to Me Too

Unee
Contributor
Contributor
It's so cute when PayPal offers to refund the $0.25 out of "courtesy". Yes, one f*cking quarter is totally going to fix everything. Thanks! The excuses are precious too. I spent a couple of hours with 4 different reps and I got 20 different reasons on why PayPal does these holds. PayPal, at least try to be consistent when bs'ing your loyal customers.
Login to Me Too

JAYREAL
Contributor
Contributor

That is a lie, you must work for paypal. I have had this same problem and nobody from paypal can even explain the process of the hold, what they are checking, and can answer any of your questions on the issue. Pay Pal is full of it and they can never answer the questions you have because non of the employees have a clue. I am all for getting people together for a class action suit because they have also cost me money with this hold mess with no solution or explanation. I am not using them again for transaction like that because they have no consistency and can never answer your questions. 

Login to Me Too

Carl2481
Contributor
Contributor
I am currently dealing with this issue. I will no longer be using paypal for my transactions. The 24 hour mark is about 1 hour away, yet i have not received any information on where my money is. I am considering my legal options if paypal exceeds 24 hours.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.