PAYPAL SECURITY HOLD ON TRANSFER/WITHDRAWAL

nicolekristine
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I added my new debit card to my PayPal account and verified my ACH transfers with the same bank the debit card is with. I then requested PayPal to transfer my $50 balance from my PayPal wallet to my debit card and paid the $0.25 fee to have it transferred within 30 minutes. As soon as I clicked complete PayPal notified me that my transfer is under review via email saying - "For security reasons, we need a bit more time to review your transfer request. This process can take up to 24 hours. If it passes our review, we'll release it and then the regular withdrawal timeframe (about 30 mins) will then take effect. We'll email you as soon as we have an update." (No further emails since they've sent this one...)

Is there any way I can help resolve this issue and receive my money? I also have an additional $45 that I want to transfer to my debit card. If I try to transfer that to my debit card now will that also get bumped into a security review since the 1st one is still under review? Anyone have any idea how long this is going to take? So far I've been disappointed with how long every transaction I try to do on PayPal takes! It used to be instantaniously for mostly everything but lately all my transactions hit a dang block of some sort. It makes me look into other services moving forward.I called PayPal and waited on hold for 30 minutes to see if I personally talked to an agent maybe they can help verify that it is my personal debit card and I requested the transfer so there is no need to place a hold on my money for security reasons. The agent told me there's nothing I can do and that it can actually take up to 72 hours(!!) to resolve through their system.

edit - tried to transfer my remaining $45 and same thing happened. ANOTHER security hold. Called paypal again and they could not give me any answers they act completely clueless! Tried to blame it on my bank and this time told me it may take DAYS to get my money. Made ZERO sense with what she was saying. I called my bank and everything is gravy on their end. This is all paypal being shady af. Unhelpful. Stupid. Unintuative. 

Login to Me Too
103 REPLIES 103

FMFrequency
New Community Member

I see I'm not the only person dealing with this nonsense, I as well called PayPal numerous days in a row trying to rectify this issue, but all I got was a extremely long hold time, and connected to a bunch of reps who have no idea what is going on.  All they can tell me is the security system holds the money and has to verify with the bank before depositing the money, this is BS because when I set up the account it was verified in fact 1 dollar was taken to verify the account was good, but when I tried to transfer money in the account I was hit with the 72 hour hold notification.  It is very inconveniencing to have to deal with this craziness, and they get away with it because EBay only uses them, I personally may re-evaluate my shopping and selling options, and find another alternative for both companies.   This sort of thing happens when a company has cornered the market, and the only kid on the block EBay plays with.  I bet if there were other options to work with such as the Cash app, or Apple/Samsung pay, they would change their tune, Guaranteed!!!! 

Login to Me Too

Jonathan_1986

It just got me with this one.  44 hours down, 28 hours to go.  First they $142.50 of my funds on a 3 week hold, now an additional 3 day hold.  They like making people wait.  They simply shut down another account of mine, stealing my $11.82 unless I provided identification.  I'm going to have to stop using Paypal.  Wire Transfer (if a lot of money), Western Union, Money Order or Check, Google Pay, Shopify: there are alternatives.  

Login to Me Too

hytechr3dneck
New Community Member

i have been fighting this battle for the last week and a half since the date of sale from ebay. i have a personal paypal that i thought was no longer any good because it was so old so i created a new one a better one a business one HAHAHAHA!!! biggest mistake of my life if any business uses paypal business to help them run it they will go bankrupt in a month.

My 12 year marriage ended 4 months ago so its been a struggle making it alone. me and my brother had a huge fight so they kicked me out of the house. my job fired me 2 weeks ago so i have been scrounging around for money by driving for Lyft though seems like most of it goes back into the gas tank. My ex left me with all the credit cards and financial problems on top of me having to pay her $300 biweekly. So i am currently living in my car barely making enough to eat and live on when what do you know apparently my old paypal was still active with all of my old banking information well not knowing i ate got gas and a few essentials needed while im on the road. What do you know they take every last thing i spent right out of my ex's bank account overdrafting a little over $300 she gets the fees refunded but i still have to pay her $190 well this weekend because she couldnt pay her power bill and she has our 8 year old little girl to worry about when her power is about to get cut off. OK well i sold the items on my business account (EBAY starts the initial hold which i get im new so when the items were delivered NOTHING! had to call paypal 2 days in a row after being lied to telling me the funds would be released the day before) Finally have funds time to get my ex wifes power taken care of havent recieved the debit card just yet so i try to setup Samsung pay and just withdraw the money that way NOPE! can setup at this time. OK, withdraw to bank card NOPE!! 24hr review hold seriously!! Call them they say try the transfer with a low amount to start the hold then make another transfer for the remainder made sense i guess. Done clicked the transfer button on the remaining balance BOOM!!!! 72-FREAKING HOUR HOLD!! now my funds are tied up in lymbo on either account and after yet again another phone call to paypal with a retarded wait time of 30-2hr each time unreal. NOTHING!!! NOT A DANG THING THEY CAN DO!!!!!!!! I am living in my freaking car and my only saving grace was the money i made selling my electronics and now that they are sold im still out in the cold!!!! 

This has got to be the most obsurd practice in a financial institution in the history of money. You might as well have just robbed me and left me in a ditch for the amount of money Paypal has held. Truthfully the $$ amount and the time on hold and pending if it was in an investment account they might have made some serious profit on my money. I cannot believe that you run a business and have full control over how that business is run and managed that you cannot override your software/systems!!!??? So your telling me that the computers at your place of business are actually the ones in charge not the people??? then whats the point in there being a real person if the first place they cant do anything except stare blankly at a dot on the cieling and mummble "I dont know what to tell you we cant do anything about your hold". 

I will forever (ONCES MY FUNDS ARE SAFE AND SECURE IN MY POCKET!!!!!!!!!) remove and delete anything associated with this crooked twisted worm of a company Paypal. This experience has LITERALLY!! made my life a living hell and its in my car. My accounts will be deleted my ebay will be deleted my emails with keywords paypal, pending, hold, funds and anything else that involves paypal scamming its customers out of there hard earned money from holds and fees and denials of any wrong doing. I will never fall into Paypals rediculous money trap ever again and good riddens i hope your stocks crash so hard they demand a liquidation of every last asset you have and put a freaking HOLD on the case till the governed see fit!

Login to Me Too

KJM9x
Contributor
Contributor
Don't worry, you're not alone. I have heard the same excuses for now 2 and a half days. Wait 24 hours and try again, there's nothing we can do, etc etc etc. Debit cards(plural) and bank account itself are both verified and have been used to send money(of course) but they will not let me transfer from PayPal to my account. Seems to be an ongoing issue with PayPal. Guarantee you when the employees get paid, they don't have to wait days or weeks to cash their paychecks. I am not the only one I know fighting this same exact issue. This is a joke and is stealing. I am speaking to my attorney yet again today to address this issue. This is flat wrong. I will update the community as this progresses.
Login to Me Too

Swarm1
Last time i ever use paypal
Login to Me Too

ninoisnice
Contributor
Contributor
Have Paypal many years, always transfers dine 1-3days TOPS! Last few took 5 days and when I call PayPal they blane my bank and bank blames PayPal. Meanwhile I get charges fir overdraft by my bank . Think they are spliting the take with the companies I use auto-pay eith that come suspiciously (collusion ?) due EXACTLY on the day the hold is happening????
Login to Me Too

Gothamtyler
Yeah, PayPal is full of **bleep**. While Apple Pay, Google pay, Cash app, and venmo take the spotlight. Paypal continues to be a **bleep** hole finant service. 2018 and instant bank transfers take 72 hours while all named services above take less than 20 minutes. I'm pulling the remainder of my funds out and I'll refuse to use PayPal again for any type of transaction. They'll truly a terrible company
Login to Me Too

KristyJ
I have just had the exact same thing happen to me when I decided to switch my Airbnb account over to PayPal thinking it would be quicker than the bank deposit. How stupid was I!! I have had PayPal for 10+ years, still same bank account and no changed details etc. After all your comments I won’t bother to ring them and I certainly will not be using them again for anything in the future! Do they forget that we actually pay them for this service? Well, lack of service. 2019 and plenty of other options now, let’s see how they like losing all our hard earned $$$
Login to Me Too

Angsutornsam
Contributor
Contributor
Paying using paypal is instant because Paypal gains transfer fees. Transfering to bank takes 72 hours because they gain nothing. I've had paypal for 6 Months and my I've done £500+ withdrawal to bank multiple times over the 6 months. Today I tried withdrawing £42 and its says my transaction will be on hold for "12 Hours" which is a complete joke. How is this an unusal pattern?. I can bet anything it will be a 72 Hours hold and not 12 Hours as stated after I made the withdrawal. No point calling customer service at all because they will just say is its an unusual pattern, Banks fault, It should stop after you have completed a few withdrawal or your account information has changed. But I've done about 50+ withdrawal, how is it unsual when I've withdrawn higher amounts multiple times ,have never changed my details and there is nothing wrong with my bank. My bank is instant transfer unlike your con company. For a popular company that deals with 90% online transactions their customer service is a joke and can't understand half of them when im on the phone. Im from yorkshire and I can't understand Scottish, Irish , geordie or indian reps espically through a phone and they're talking so fast to try to deal with my case as fast as possible and move onto the next call.
Login to Me Too

G007
Contributor
Contributor

Another unhappy user here - never had problems withdrawing anything until today - was told it could take 3-5 hours whilst on the phone yet nothing.

Ill be closing my account after this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.