PAYPAL SECURITY HOLD ON TRANSFER/WITHDRAWAL

nicolekristine
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I added my new debit card to my PayPal account and verified my ACH transfers with the same bank the debit card is with. I then requested PayPal to transfer my $50 balance from my PayPal wallet to my debit card and paid the $0.25 fee to have it transferred within 30 minutes. As soon as I clicked complete PayPal notified me that my transfer is under review via email saying - "For security reasons, we need a bit more time to review your transfer request. This process can take up to 24 hours. If it passes our review, we'll release it and then the regular withdrawal timeframe (about 30 mins) will then take effect. We'll email you as soon as we have an update." (No further emails since they've sent this one...)

Is there any way I can help resolve this issue and receive my money? I also have an additional $45 that I want to transfer to my debit card. If I try to transfer that to my debit card now will that also get bumped into a security review since the 1st one is still under review? Anyone have any idea how long this is going to take? So far I've been disappointed with how long every transaction I try to do on PayPal takes! It used to be instantaniously for mostly everything but lately all my transactions hit a dang block of some sort. It makes me look into other services moving forward.I called PayPal and waited on hold for 30 minutes to see if I personally talked to an agent maybe they can help verify that it is my personal debit card and I requested the transfer so there is no need to place a hold on my money for security reasons. The agent told me there's nothing I can do and that it can actually take up to 72 hours(!!) to resolve through their system.

edit - tried to transfer my remaining $45 and same thing happened. ANOTHER security hold. Called paypal again and they could not give me any answers they act completely clueless! Tried to blame it on my bank and this time told me it may take DAYS to get my money. Made ZERO sense with what she was saying. I called my bank and everything is gravy on their end. This is all paypal being shady af. Unhelpful. Stupid. Unintuative. 

Login to Me Too
103 REPLIES 103

antiquated

There are sooooo many other options out there for transferring $$ and paypal is the only garbage company that I have issues with... and it has been for years! I honestly believe it is a cash flow issue. You can blow smoke about security all freakn day but EVERY time we go to withdraw $$ we have a security review. Its a complete joke. WORST provider out there by a mile!! They have hosed so many people by holding their cash it should be criminal. Wish someone would start a class action against them -- it would be easy to prove damages!!

Login to Me Too

dwirko

Had the same issue today. Unbelievable is all I can say. As a side note, I got one of those surveys for "How is Paypal Doing?" while I was here, when it asked if my problem was solved, I said no. When it asked how likely am I to recommend Paypal, I selected 3 out of 10. Then, I got "The survey could not be submitted." I bet if I had given a better review, it would have been accepted. Happy **bleep** Easter PayPal!!

Login to Me Too

Jkeen
I've had some terrible customer service experiences in my past, but PayPal' s takes the cake. Their staff is full of people so useless, I'm amazed they can perform automatic functions like breathing without a script telling them to. The scripts they read from do not answer specific questions and only pass the buck blaming "government regulations" or "company policy" with no specific reference to either. Getting a supervisor or someone with a functioning brain is pointless because the call somehow happens to drop at that point without fail. The only reason I set up a PayPal account is because eBay requires it. It's the biggest drain on my online business wasting time and money trying to figure out why I have to wait for days on end to get my money into my bank account. It's getting to the point where I'm going to stop selling on eBay until they allow alternate payment options.
Login to Me Too

RolandMaagad
Contributor
Contributor

I also encounter this problem this day..I dont know what is the reason why PayPal hold my cash while transferring it to my debit card. Can anyone know how many hours it takes to receive my cash in to my debit card?

Login to Me Too

CamSmith
New Community Member
This happened to me today, for no particular reason and had never happened before after my transaction practices have stayed the same for a while. This process is a inconvenience to everyone when it happens. Customer service doesn’t actually know how to make anyone feel comfortable about it happening and also they can’t really explain how to keep it from happening. In the fairest assumption I believe that PayPal can do better than this, and have done better in the past, however this is a very unattractive side of a concept that doesn’t make them look good. I hope they reconsider it. It would help them get more business if they took this out.
Login to Me Too

TurdFood
Contributor
Contributor
This issue is now affecting a majority of PayPal users. A 24 hour hold is placed in case of fraud or unauthorized transactions. The hold is released 24 hours and 15 minutes after the transfer process originally occured. In return, the $.25 cents is not charged to the transferred amount. In some cases ifs 72 hours, which really means 72 hours + 15 minutes. If this isnt your pleasure, you can use other methods of transfer. FB or GMaïI.
Login to Me Too

ramliv
Contributor
Contributor

This is also happening to me today. I am unable to transfer money to my Debit Card. Paypal should do something about this. This is inconvenient being unable to transfer money right away.

Login to Me Too

HoldTheMayo
That’s not true. It’s 72 hours on many cases.
Login to Me Too

LEAHNEW
Contributor
Contributor
I'm so upset right now I'm going through the exact same thing PayPal put a security hold on my money because I tried to instant transfer it to my prepaid PayPal card they said my spending patterns were not regular but I just got the account for months ago they don't know my spending pattern so needless to say they put a hold on my account for security everytime I call PayPal they said it's no problem on their end that it's the card I called the card they say it's PayPal every time I talk to PayPal they tell me to try to send it to another bank or card so I do what they say and I end up getting a permanent hold it seems like all my money and even supervisors cannot tell me what to do they tell me to send the money back where it came from or to just wait and see if it magically comes back to me they all act like they didn't know what was going on until they **bleep** me over so many times trying to send it to the bank I thought I was going to get a instant transfer for $0.25 and up getting my money froze for a whole day just to come right back to PayPal I called every single day trying to get help and all they do is try to tell me to get their new PayPal card this is so terrible I needed this money to buy groceries already lost my home for months ago because they didn't let me get my money for 21 days even though the whole time I've been a personal account and I ended up not being able to pay my mortgage and having to move out right now I am filing a small claims court case on them and suing because of my loss and damages
Login to Me Too

sniko234
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.

A few months ago when it occurred for the 1st time I could not even cancel the hold.

Luckily this option is present at the moment. At that time the card was new, so I cut them some slack

for holding the transaction. Since then I've made transfers to that debit cards several times, no issues.

Until today. The transfer was shown as denied and balance refunded.

It's unclear who denied it - paypal or the receiving bank.

I sent an email to customer service, received an automated email that went on and on about possible reasons.

None of the reasons made any sense, there was zero actionable info.

In a nutshell I consider the "transfer-to-debit card" feature a dud.

Like the Windows ME edition years ago, apps worked sometimes and also did not, just as often.

No rhyme or reason, totally random and unpredictable.

It's a **bleep** disgrace.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.