cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

Thank you Laiza. Here's the situation. I'm not using eBay. I provided a service to a customer, and this customer does not have a PayPal account. They have not filed a dispute, I don't think they would even know how. I sent them a PayPal invoice. They charged the wrong card. I called PayPal support, and they said to mark the service as delivered. I did this on day 1. I called back and they confirmed this service was marked as such and the hold would be released in 5 days. I called back in 5 days. They said it's still being reviewed, but it is now a back office issue and they will escalate the case, and my funds will be available in another 5 days. This happened 1 more time. During this time I'm communicating with my buyer the situation, and I sound like an idiot every time PayPal doesn't follow through on their promise. This is clearly an issue with PayPal. I was repeatedly told with certainty that I would have quick access to my funds, and each time this was not the case, the fault lies solely on PayPal for inadequately handling the issue. There's no gray area here. Also, today is the 21 day mark and the payment still hasn't gone through.
Highlighted
Contributor

Just to let everyone know i am a year in and have put 19k through this so called Business paypal account and all incoming sales and outgoing transfers are still being held, sometimes days beyond when the tracking shows as delivered. Customer service are like speaking to robots and just read back text- ' higher than usual sales, different items to usual, blah blah none of this applys. My advice is use another platform to support your online sales, paypal have ruined our business growth and created many delays and problems with what should have been quick easy transactions.

The excuses Paypal give for holding funds are completely irrelevent and opposing to the structure and requirements for seller business account.

Highlighted

This is not good for the sellers. I have been an Ebay member for years but stopped selling for a while, started back and now they are holding my funds. It makes it difficult for me to even sell anything because I can't afford to have my money tied up....

Highlighted
Contributor

So if someone was to sell their first item ever on ebay with no plans to sell anything else in the future, how long would they need to wait for their funds to clear?

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Luxinterior

If its Ebays and not Paypals hold (off-Ebay) then it when tracking shows delivery of the item + 3 days.

Advice is VOLUNTARILY given.
Please leave Kudos / Solution if I have helped you.
Highlighted
Contributor

I didn't realise that paypal can do this, they are different services and different companies now. Ebay has no authority over this and certainly not over paypal, as they are different companies. Could somebody show me the link to the paypal policy that strangely restricts payments from ebay???

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@crystalrichards

Paypal does not, Ebay do.

Ebay (if its Ebays hold), tell Paypal when they can release the funds under Ebays new seller hold.

Highlighted

I agree to an extent with this policy-there are middle men (Paypal and eBay) involved. That said, they charge fees, which should be to cover themselves with rogue sellers. Yet, agreeing with Paypal's terms and conditions is one thing,however I think it's a downright disgrace that they don't release the funds needed to post the item to the buyer. When a seller is hard up for cash this is then impossible to send the item to the buyer before 21 days-an unfair and unacceptable situation for both buyer and seller to be in
Highlighted
Contributor

PayPal will send a refund to a buyer whether you have money in your PayPal or not so I don't see the point for the hold either. On another note, PayPal does not care for the seller at all. My brother closed his PayPal after he sold an item on eBay for $250 and the buyer said they did not receive it. A case was opened on eBay at which point the money was obviously held by PayPal. UPS luckily takes pictures with their handheld device when leaving an item on the porch so it showed the item was delivered and left on the porch. UPS and eBay agreed my brother sent the item and fulfilled his responsibility as the seller and PayPal released the money. About 2 months later the crook buyer opened a case with PayPal and PayPal agreed to refund his money although eBay and UPS agreed the buyer received the item months ago. My brother's PayPal account was deducted the refund, so now he has no money and no product while the buyer obviously lied and received a $250 item for free now. Needless to say he closed his PayPal account but the way eBay scares buyers that don't pay with PayPal his sales are minimal compared to before. So don't tell me that PayPal holding my $5 is for the safety of both parties if they can just take the money from me whenever somebody wants their purchase for free. I wish their was a better way but until we get eBay to stop pushing PayPal payments from buyers (because no matter how you pay eBay will still refund your money if the seller really does **bleep** you over so using PayPal is moot) and letting them feel safe whether it's by credit card or any other online money transfer company then we are bullied into their rules of operation.
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Ubigdumy

You are correct in that paypal refund the buyer anyway whether funds are held or not. But the difference is that Paypal would refund with THEIR money and then they have to chase the seller to pay them back again, whereas if the funds are on hold they are available to send back to the buyer.

That is why for 'new sellers' with unproven records they hold the funds for a period of time to protect themselves (not the buyers) from having to pay off if a new seller takes the money and runs.

As for your brother normally a dispute for non receipt of item fails if the seller provides trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyer, supply that and you don't lose out.