cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

I am a new seller on ebay and have just set up a paypal account to manage my transactions only to find that paypal are gonna hold my money because i am a new customer , why do they do this and how long will they hold my money for ?? some pls help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Advisor

Re: NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

Its to do with buyer protection. If a buyer does not receive their item or it was misdescribed etc and the seller refuses a refund then paypal have to refund the buyer and go after the seller to try and get reimbursed.

So as a business to protect themselves from loads of refunds they put a hold on new sellers until they have a proven good selling record.

Payments as a new seller are held for 21 days UNLESS when you send an item the buyer leaves feedback OR if you send the item trackable and that item shows as delivered + 3 days then email paypal and they will release the funds sooner.

Payment holds occur because:

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detatiled Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.

Depending on the circumstances, paypal may set aside payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.
106 REPLIES 106
Esteemed Advisor

Its to do with buyer protection. If a buyer does not receive their item or it was misdescribed etc and the seller refuses a refund then paypal have to refund the buyer and go after the seller to try and get reimbursed.

So as a business to protect themselves from loads of refunds they put a hold on new sellers until they have a proven good selling record.

Payments as a new seller are held for 21 days UNLESS when you send an item the buyer leaves feedback OR if you send the item trackable and that item shows as delivered + 3 days then email paypal and they will release the funds sooner.

Payment holds occur because:

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detatiled Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.

Depending on the circumstances, paypal may set aside payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.

Contributor

ok thank you for your help 

New Community Member

Do you know if this will stop after 90 days assuming I've established a good selling record on ebay in this time?

Contributor

boxbusters 

it will stop after 90 days, and stay stopped unless you fall back under any of the outlined reason in the above users post 

ect if you take a brake from selling them come back to it a few months later and in doing so your DSR drops to under 20 within a 12 month peiord 

Not true about Paypal releasing funds after 90 days.  I'm a new seller with 100% feedback score, 34 actual feedbacks left out of 98 sales.  My DSR is 33 (out of 34).  My first sale was on April 7.....today is Aug 19, and they are still putting a hold on my funds.  There is no accounting for Paypal's reasoning.  If they are waiting for me to reach 100 feedback scores...then at the rate I'm selling I will have to sell another 200+ sales in the next 10-11 months to meet this requirement.  Personally I believe this number to be met is ridiculous.  Someone who has made 98 sales, each and everyone with USPS tracking, with no complaints, has established a trustworthy track record.  Apparently, though, Paypal thinks otherwise.  At this point I'm just hoping that they are waiting for the six month period of being a Paypal member to pass....if that isn't the hold up....next best thing would be that they want me to continue selling another year and a half to get over the 100 feedback mark.  Those are the ONLY criteria I haven't met.

Contributor

My first buyer collected in person, therefore is the money still held for 21 days as I won't be able to evidence buyers receipt of the goods?

Contributor

you will beable to provide proof of received good if the buyer leave you feedback, (witch should be enough to show they have the goods and are happy) therefor the money should be released.. *as i see it anyways, tho im nothing to do with paypal just posting on a few well here checking my own questions* 

New Community Member

Registered on eBay for 13 years, sold hundreds items before, but not sell anything for awhile
100% positive feedback
Suddenly my ebay' sells got hold for 21 days.
No money is my account, PayPal and eBay still charges fee,
I don't want deal this situation and click the refund, but ebay still charged my fees.

Esteemed Advisor

They are not held for 21 days ....that is only if you don't mark the item despatched etc.

It only lasts for 20 transactions and if you have not sold for ages then yes they consider you a new seller again....I had to go through it twice as well.....but didn't bother me as didn't last for long.

http://sellerupdate.ebay.co.uk/autumn2013/changes-payment-holds