NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

kimbobs
Contributor
Contributor

I am a new seller on ebay and have just set up a paypal account to manage my transactions only to find that paypal are gonna hold my money because i am a new customer , why do they do this and how long will they hold my money for ?? some pls help 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Its to do with buyer protection. If a buyer does not receive their item or it was misdescribed etc and the seller refuses a refund then paypal have to refund the buyer and go after the seller to try and get reimbursed.

So as a business to protect themselves from loads of refunds they put a hold on new sellers until they have a proven good selling record.

Payments as a new seller are held for 21 days UNLESS when you send an item the buyer leaves feedback OR if you send the item trackable and that item shows as delivered + 3 days then email paypal and they will release the funds sooner.

Payment holds occur because:

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detatiled Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.

Depending on the circumstances, paypal may set aside payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
136 REPLIES 136
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Its to do with buyer protection. If a buyer does not receive their item or it was misdescribed etc and the seller refuses a refund then paypal have to refund the buyer and go after the seller to try and get reimbursed.

So as a business to protect themselves from loads of refunds they put a hold on new sellers until they have a proven good selling record.

Payments as a new seller are held for 21 days UNLESS when you send an item the buyer leaves feedback OR if you send the item trackable and that item shows as delivered + 3 days then email paypal and they will release the funds sooner.

Payment holds occur because:

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detatiled Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.

Depending on the circumstances, paypal may set aside payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kimbobs
Contributor
Contributor

ok thank you for your help 

Login to Me Too

mavis333
New Community Member
Please I'm not a new seller
Login to Me Too

boxbusters
New Community Member

Do you know if this will stop after 90 days assuming I've established a good selling record on ebay in this time?

Login to Me Too

mat_lat
Contributor
Contributor

boxbusters 

it will stop after 90 days, and stay stopped unless you fall back under any of the outlined reason in the above users post 

ect if you take a brake from selling them come back to it a few months later and in doing so your DSR drops to under 20 within a 12 month peiord 

Login to Me Too

Not true about Paypal releasing funds after 90 days.  I'm a new seller with 100% feedback score, 34 actual feedbacks left out of 98 sales.  My DSR is 33 (out of 34).  My first sale was on April 7.....today is Aug 19, and they are still putting a hold on my funds.  There is no accounting for Paypal's reasoning.  If they are waiting for me to reach 100 feedback scores...then at the rate I'm selling I will have to sell another 200+ sales in the next 10-11 months to meet this requirement.  Personally I believe this number to be met is ridiculous.  Someone who has made 98 sales, each and everyone with USPS tracking, with no complaints, has established a trustworthy track record.  Apparently, though, Paypal thinks otherwise.  At this point I'm just hoping that they are waiting for the six month period of being a Paypal member to pass....if that isn't the hold up....next best thing would be that they want me to continue selling another year and a half to get over the 100 feedback mark.  Those are the ONLY criteria I haven't met.

Login to Me Too

1treasurehunter
Contributor
Contributor
This really puts sellers in a difficult situation, it makes me not even want to use PayPal. It's almost like they are holding your money hostage but haven't clearly stated the demands for you to rescue your funds! I hope your situation is resolved soon and you are able to have YOUR money!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@1treasurehunter 

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for 'new sellers'.
If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.

Normally for Ebays hold funds are released when tracking shows the item as delivered + 1 days (if you use Ebay / paypal postage).
Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.
http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/payments-and-fees/funds-availability.html

Every single seller that lists on Ebay have gone through the process and as its for buyer protection most understand as they want buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

enchanting

I agree! I just joined PayPal business only two weeks ago and believe this is a horrible policy for them to dictate what you can or can't do with your money and when. I can see the hold, I get that. But then release immediately, and if all goes well then drop the hold already. I have an online store and use a drop shipper for some items and sell from my home for others. Either way I'm in a lose/lose scenario with PayPal business! If I have a lot of people buy from my online store where I have to use the drop shipper I cannot afford to purchase their items for them. They pay me by ordering my items, I then purchase their items and have them shipped to them. If I have several hundred dollars worth of sales at any point I cannot place the order because I do not have hundreds of dollars just laying around to purchase others peoples items without reimbursement for however many days PayPal decides to give me back my money. And if I sell to someone local I meet them to deliver their products. So, no tracking number, no payment for 21 days. And not all customers will leave feedback... so another 21 days on those sales. 21 days is ridiculous! Sounds like PayPal is trying to earn interest off everyones money for a few weeks or something illegal going on. I used to love PayPal, for personal accounts I do.... I cannot stand working with them now. Does anyone know if there is another company like PayPal to accept payments at online stores, but NOT PayPal. Nothing would please me more at this time then to take PayPal right off my website as the external payer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.