NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

kimbobs
Contributor
Contributor

I am a new seller on ebay and have just set up a paypal account to manage my transactions only to find that paypal are gonna hold my money because i am a new customer , why do they do this and how long will they hold my money for ?? some pls help 

Login to Me Too
136 REPLIES 136

Obykinobi
Sadly PayPal also dictates holds on funds. eBay has released my funds and PayPal still has the funds pending and I’ve contacted them and they also have their own golds which IMO is ridiculous because i didn’t sell thru PayPal, i used eBay. They’ve made their 3% and also interest on ur held funds. If eBay has released the funds and anything happens that’s on eBay since they made the decision and rightly has the right to hold or release since ur profile is with them, ur feedbacks are with them
Login to Me Too

You should have asked the buyer for the tracking number.  The item may have been lost in the mail......IT DOES HAPPEN!  USPS won't even allow a seller to file a lost package report until after 10 days has passed.  Buyers need to be patient and stop jumping the gun and filing DNR claims to quickly.  They need to allow the seller time to put a report in.  I had one buyer who filed a report 5 days after I shipped.....tracking indicated they already received it 3 days before.  Buyer wouldn't respond other than to keep demanding a refund or replacement.   Wouldn't check with carrier, wouldn't check with neighbor, wouldn't check with other members of the household.  No help whatsoever.   I won the case....BECAUSE I had tracking showing the item was delivered.  By then, though, I had sent a replacement.....at additional cost to me.  Do you think I got a thank you?  Uh, NO!  

I don't have a problem working with a buyer that is willing to see reason.  I know I will get a lot of flack for this...but I'm sick and tired of  buyers, Ebay, and Paypal putting the onus solely on sellers to guarantee delivery of a purchase, AS IF they have any control over the 3rd party shipper.  Also, it's not like the buyer isn't informed what 3rd party shipper is being used.....it's right there on the Ebay listing.  The fact that the the buyer is CHOOSING, OF THEIR OWN VOLITION, with NO outside forces put upon them....to purchase an item that they ABSOLUTELY KNOW must leave the sellers control....AND the fact that they have ADVANCE KNOWLEDGE of this information BEFORE they purchase....not only is that buyer NOW EXPECTING their purchase to be handled by a 3rd party...they have KNOWINGLY AND WILLINGLY ACCEPTED for this transfer to take place  the moment they WILLINGLY finalize their purchase.  

So.... How then does ALL the responsibility now fall solely on the seller to ensure delivery.  Why does the buyer not have even a modicum of responsibility in their expectation and acceptance that their purchase has the potentional of being lost in the mail.  At the very least the buyer should never expect a complete and full refund..EVER.  

Yea I know...it's never gonna happen.  Ebay and Paypal are a "Buyers" paradise.  That we are now living in a world where people refuse to accept any responsibility in the choices they make; playing the blame game, all with the attitude of I want what I want when I want it....so give it to me NOW-----what else can you come to expect.  Geeze....it's not as if the Seller is actually the primary reason both E & P are billion dollar industries...that if sellers didn't list something for sale...they wouldn't have any buyers in the first place.   Guess it's just to much to ask to expect some mutual responsibility in these transactions.   

Login to Me Too

Eric443
New Community Member
I think the main reason is the buyer is the one putting up cash for an item they have never seen. You know what the item looks like, PayPal tells you immediately when you get paid. They still have to wait to see if you hold up your end of the deal and ship what you said you would ship, in the condition you said it's in. This way both parties wait, and for every bad buyer that didn't help out the seller by dropping feedback, there is as many scammers that never ship anything and try to take people's money. This is probably the best medium.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@uprightcitizens

I'm sorry but i disagree, as a seller myself i have a responsibility to get an item to a buyer that has paid me for that item.

If you bought from Amazon and it did not arrive would you say 'oh well, i knew it was going to be sent non tracked so its my fault' or would you want a refund?

I send items not tracked sometimes but at MY risk and not the buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Camroh22
In that case you have MANY options including contacting your bank to get your money back. This is horrible for the seller, who has to solely rely on the buyer.
Login to Me Too

No1KingEdward
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely understand why either company would hold funds to protect the buyer...it's the millions of times they claim it's for the buyer's protection when the buyer has confirmed delivery and left positive feedback and paypal and/or ebay are still holding the funds!!!!! 

Sorry you are having issues with a buyer and I hope you are protected...

I as a seller am not protected against the evil giants of paypal and ebay!!!! EVIL!!!!

Login to Me Too

BakaOppai
Contributor
Contributor

"I'm glad Paypal holds the money for a period of time. I have been waiting two weeks to receive an item I bought on eBay it has never came and the seller doesn't respond to any messages since the day the seller marked item shipped,except once when item didn't come on promised date l sent a message to ask why it was not delivered sellers last and final response "give it another day or two. Still hasn't arrived now working with EBay to get my money back."

How is this scenario even possible with package tracking?  You're just making this up.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BakaOppai 

Not every seller sends trackable.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lolorunner
Contributor
Contributor

This is EXACTLY what happened to me.  I sold an item on ebay after not selling something for a few years.  The buyer's payment showed up in my "pending payment" status and explained that a payment may be held for 21 days UNLESS you provide tracking information, etc.  So, I did that.  They still held the payment and now the buyer has cancelled the sale and I'm out of the money.  I opened up a case in the resolution center but how do you get around the fact that you need to get to the money, you provide tracking information and ship the item and now I'm out of 270 bucks?  SO annoyed!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

It sounds like we’re holding the money because the transaction may involve higher than usual risk. This is because:

The selling price of this items/order is inconsistent with your recent sales

The transaction is inconsistent with your business model

You’re selling an item that can potentially cause dissatisfaction with customers

Your account selling activity was inactive for a while

You have had some claims open against you recently

Here’s what you can do to speed things up:

In your PayPal account, mark the item as sent. Your money will be available within 7 days of the postage date or 14 days for international shipping.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.