NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

kimbobs
Contributor
Contributor

I am a new seller on ebay and have just set up a paypal account to manage my transactions only to find that paypal are gonna hold my money because i am a new customer , why do they do this and how long will they hold my money for ?? some pls help 

Login to Me Too
136 REPLIES 136

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor
Ok. Thank you for intelligently addressing the situation at hand. You have been most helpful. You should apply for a position with PayPal's support. I'm sure you'd get the job.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

Thats original, not a great one for adult debate then are you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor
This is getting petty... I'm sure you're a good guy/girl. Your PayPal piety I believe to be unwarranted, but we can agree to disagree.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

There are times when i agree with paypal on here and there are times when i do not.

Its amazing how often when i agree with them that the other poster becomes personally abusive and accuses me of working for them OR get a job with them.

I take it at that point they have run out of a constructive argument.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor
What's your opinion of my situation? My customer charged the wrong credit card for $1800. I tried to get them a refund, and customer support said there was nothing they can do, but they could push the payment through faster. I've been on the phone with them 4 times, and each time they said I should have the funds in 3-5 days. Tomorrow will be 21 days. They keep escalating the case and can't give a straight answer on where my funds are. My customer thinks the situation is ridiculous and can't understand why the payment can't be reversed or be pushed through immediately for refund. Taking $1,800 out of my personal bank account to cover the refund is not a reasonable request. PayPal should act quicker in these situations. There's very clear inefficiencies with their service. What should I have done differently to get my customer their money back sooner?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

If you really want my opinion then Paypal is hardly to blame because your buyer was stupid enough to not check which card he selected when he checked out to pay for an item. If it was for a high amount then surely he would double check before he clicked submit.......he didn't so both you and he have to wait.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor

Just to be clear, your answer is: If a customer uses the wrong card with PayPal, they are stupid, so expect to delay a refund by 21 days.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

You asked my 'opinion'.

My opinion is that you are blaming Paypal for a mistake that your buyer made.

And my opinion is that your buyer is pretty silly to not have checked his card before making the payment.

If i made a mistake doing a bank transfer then the funds could be lost completely but that would be MY fault and not the banks.

AND I may NEVER get the funds back, let alone 21 days.

So my 'opinion' is that Paypal is not at fault and you should wait until they process the payment so you can then refund it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor

It’s funny, I don’t remember PayPal asking for a reason as to why my customer needed a refund. I don’t think either of us thought that was an important detail. Do you think my customer would have gotten a refund sooner if I gave PayPal a better reason? Or do you think PayPal might possibly have some issues with their customer support?

On a side note, I just scanned your profile and see that you’ve been responding to customer concerns regularly for the last 13 hours. For the last week, you’re pretty much responding on this forum every day all day. I’m genuinely curious, what do you get as a ‘Volunteer Advisor’? That’s a lot of personal time.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

Thats odd because I went out all yesterday afternoon, not that that is any of your concern but I guess becoming 'personal' when you have lost an argument is your only recourse.

And what do i get out of being an advisor? Well I have lost count of the number of scams that I have prevented or the number of folks that i have helped understand their way around paypal.....again not that that is any of your concern.

Mostly on here we get nice folks, then we get the odd one that thinks Paypals policies have to be 'adapted' specially for them.   Smiley Wink

Oh and i am off out again in a mo,...........ok with you?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.