NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

kimbobs
Contributor
Contributor

I am a new seller on ebay and have just set up a paypal account to manage my transactions only to find that paypal are gonna hold my money because i am a new customer , why do they do this and how long will they hold my money for ?? some pls help 

Login to Me Too
136 REPLIES 136

Lilladybugg22
New Community Member
This is such a pain in the butt if I had known about this I would have sold other ways prior to my first sell. I am selling stuff b/c I actually need the money asap never had a bad rating and my first sell with tracking number took a week to get there and I needed this money the day it sold! I don't know I will continue to sell on eBay after this fiasco.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor

I have found that the quickest way to get your funds released is to try to avoid using PayPal at all costs. It might be difficult with Ebay, for all other transactions there are better supported options like Square and QuickBooks. PayPal holds your money longer than almost all of their competitors. To use PayPal as a business option is absurd. There's no way to establish a cash flow. My advice would be to investigate better options until PayPal can keep up with their competitors. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

You are correct that Paypal does hold funds for 'new sellers' but that does not last long just till you build up a selling reputation.

Other payment methods 'may' be quicker but as a buyer i would only look for sellers that accepted Paypal as I want that buyer protection.

So whilst you may get your money more quickly another way others may wait a while but get a higher payment for their items as more buyers will bid / buy from them.

When i sell I would prefer the wait and the higher amount.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply. Most people beg to differ: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/paypal_02.html Wish I did my research before using PayPal. Their service and support are awful. I don't even want to go into the countless hours I've wasted getting support to release my money, every time telling me funds would be available in 3-5 days. Sounds like PayPal has all sorts of issues. If you don't trust a buyer, don't buy from them.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

LOL, 1600 odd 'complaints' that you will probably find were often due to ignorance on how paypal works against the 218 MILLION paypal account holders at the moment is the tiniest of dots in the ocean  Smiley Wink

So i don't think that qualifies as 'most people beg to differ' as most people are happy using their paypal account.

I have been through the new seller hold, didn't bother me one bit, it didn't last for long and i rarely waited more than a week as i sent the items trackable. Also as it was for buyer protection i understood why it was in place as I want buyers to use paypal and buy from me.  Smiley Happy

But as I said if you want to go and use another site / payment processor that does not bother me one bit, more buyers for me.

Try this review as well for a payment processor that does a fraction of what paypal does  >>

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/business/square.html

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor
I should add that this hold does very little to protect buyers. I've been waiting for my funds to clear so that I can issue a refund. Because this was my first transaction, PayPal won't even let me refund until the payment clears. So, how does this help the buyer if they can't get a refund for 3 weeks? Customer used the wrong credit card, now I have to wait 21 days before issuing a refund before charging their right card, which yes I will use a better service, because there's no way I'm waiting 42 days for payment. I have nothing against others who want to use PalPal, I just want to warn new users that they should look past this 'household name' for better options.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

Not true you can issue a refund whilst your funds are being held.

1. Refund and the funds are taken from your bank account until your held funds are released.

2. Phone customer services and they will release the held funds back to the buyer.

I would not dream of letting a buyer wait 3 weeks !!!

As for using 'other' processors then I guess you didn't see the link I posted above...LOL

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor
I've called customer service several times and there's nothing they can do. The transaction was for $1,800 which I really don't feel like taking out of my bank, nor should I be obligated to. I don't want to have my customer wait 3 weeks either, but that's the PayPal model.
Login to Me Too

jbailey0722
Contributor
Contributor
Also, I did see the link. Square literally has twice as many stars as PayPal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jbailey0722

Really? Only 1 on this one and getting 1 star for VERY FEW reviews is even worse  Smiley Wink

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.squareup.com

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.