NEW SELLER ON EBAY ! HOW LONG WILL PAYPAL HOLD MY FUNDS FOR ?

kimbobs
Contributor
Contributor

I am a new seller on ebay and have just set up a paypal account to manage my transactions only to find that paypal are gonna hold my money because i am a new customer , why do they do this and how long will they hold my money for ?? some pls help 

Login to Me Too
136 REPLIES 136

Chriskreamer751
New Community Member
Yea but this is **bleep**ing paypal not ebay
Login to Me Too

Anra83
So ebay is not for the casual random seller that has too much clutter at home and wants to make a few quid? Everyone that lists to sell has to make a business out of it?? ADMIT that this is a nice crafty easy way of making extra money under the cover of "costumer protection" I dont want to accrue 200 transactions and have 10000000000% feedback, what I will do is not use ebay for selling again, as a new starter to this, it has put me into debt with family because I had to borrow £££ to be able to post a listing.
Login to Me Too

dduncan0927
New Community Member
I'm glad Paypal holds the money for a period of time. I have been waiting two weeks to receive an item I bought on eBay it has never came and the seller doesn't respond to any messages since the day the seller marked item shipped,except once when item didn't come on promised date l sent a message to ask why it was not delivered sellers last and final response "give it another day or two. Still hasn't arrived now working with EBay to get my money back.
Login to Me Too

AGOG3

what about when i sell a high end product and the buyer does not leave feedback!!!???  though i have a 100% seller rating have been a member for over ten years (actually since ebay's inception but my mom started to make me use my own account in college) gave a tracking number it has been over 3 days and paypal/ebay still has not released my funds?! all because i went i vacation and did not sell for several weeks...then i have to call paypal and argue with someone in india for hours to release $400 that paypal is keeping not bcause of buyer protection but because they are making interest off..just like banks do when they hold checks!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AGOG3

Ebay and Paypal are 2 separate companies and have 2 separate policies for holding funds for new sellers.

If yours was an Ebay transaction then its an Ebay hold and Ebay authorise when paypal can release the funds.

Also Ebay do not state that funds are released when feedback is left as feedback has no bearing on payment release.

Normally for the Ebay hold its when tracking shows the item as delivered + 3 days if you use Ebay / paypal postage.

Info in this Ebay link below about Ebays hold.

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/sr?query=1746

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

texasguysupply
Contributor
Contributor
No they're not they're sister companies
Login to Me Too

Gypsy1976
New Community Member
As a seller it sucks to wait for our money, but we also have to look at the buyers side. If it is you spending your hard earned money you would want some protection. I have almost 2,000.00 on hold at this time. It is just part of doing business on eBay.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@texasguysupply

They 'were' sister companies until a few years ago when they split completely and that is why they have 2 separate and different policies for disputes.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

You made the operative statement in the first sentence.....that Ebay and Paypal are SEPARATE companies.  So why is EBAY still dictating to PAYPAL.  EBAY should not be getting involved in ANY transaction between the buyer and seller.  The original payment IS NEVER made to EBAY.  So, what right do they have to tell PAYPAL to place a hold on ANYTHING.  EBAY is nothing more than a catalogue of merchandise that a buyer peruses.  The money aspect is ALL handled thru PAYPAL...even down to paying EBAY its fees.  IT SHOULD BE PAYPAL only that makes any decision to hold up funds.  EBAY SHOULD HAVE NO SAY IN THE MATTER.....AT ALL!

So, the fact that they tell Paypal to hold funds....would mean they collude with one another....and that is clearly a conflict of interest if there ever was one.  SEPARATE COMPANIES????? ....ONLY on paper.....their actions repeatedly bely the accuracy of that statement.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@uprightcitizens

Ebay tell paypal when they can release funds from sales using their company.

For sales that are not using Ebay then Paypal decide.

As for your thoughts on 'why' they have a say then i guess it would be easier if they did not but then no one knows how these things are worked out at company level.

I went through the Ebay seller hold myself (twice actually as i stopped selling for a year and then re-started). However it did not really bother me as I sent my items trackable and normally the funds were released within a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.