My debit card is being viewed as a credit card by Paypal automated system...

JerBear01
New Community Member

In chronological order:

1) Original Debit card was hit with fraud and my bank has reimbursed the fraud charges in full, none of which thus far looked like there was any  fraud with PayPal charges but still going through  the listing of transactions.

2) Yesterday my bank at the branch issued me a temp debit card, and that card is working just fine anywhere I use it stand-alone, but, when processing paypal transactions, it throws decline message for some odd reason, as this never happened before.

3) In reviewing the various payment methods, and after deleting and re-adding the temp card, it took the card, and said it was all setup.

4) I noticed that the card was auto-populated by PayPal and nto Paypal as a CREDIT CARD and not a DEBIT CARD and no where to correct this issue by forcing it to be a debit card.

5) So, the card literally works just as my older debit card that got hit for fraud, and the older card was populated as a debit card.

Questions:

1) How can I remedy this quickly so I can use my temp debit card to send money to friends and family within paypal and not have it appear as a credit card as there is no pull down only to select VISA, MC, etc...

2) If not, then can I load my paypal visa debit card using cash as say Walmart, then that money will immediately show up on my paypal balance(?) once added to the PayPal specific debit card from Paypal and attached to my account, then can I use paypal balance to send money via paypal to another paypal account holder provided I have their email address (?)

3) If neither of the two can be resolved, then what other options do I have to send money to friends and family both domestically and internationally other than then the mega expensive Western Union and Moneygram, both of which rip people off of their hard earned money of which I refuse to use or support either or the companies by using their services as one time I legitimately was sending money to a family member overseas, and after explaining this to both Western Union and Moneygram countless times, they came back and declined the transaction stating they did not feel comfortable - since when did a company have you go through an hour wait, then an hour of compliance review, you verify everything, and then they tell you to go back and get your money?  I was outraged by this and as such will refrain from using them ever again - for my protection they claim, what a total crock of bull crap!  Thankfully PayPal has never given me such an issue, as nobody has any right to tell anyone who they can send their money too, unless it is a known illegal transaction bu the company, how dare anyone do that to a customer.  Its literally insane, so please do not tell me to use Western Union or Moneygram as an alternative option.

Clearly, there is a fundamental issue with why Paypal would auto-assign a temp debit card as a credit card, thereby rendering it useless.  That should be a user selection field as a pull down, or an HMI (human machine interface), as opposed to an automated detection process which clearly is not working and offering the end user no way of changing the type even seems a bit more bizarre to force it to be an MMI (machine-machine interface).  Certainly no compliance or regulatory concerns on that as far as I know....As of current, my paypal account is effectively useless, and although it could very well be another issue, the only difference thus far I can determine on my side it should have populated in as a debit card payment method, and instead it painstakingly for me and others who may have encountered this, set it to be a credit card. Why would the system do that when clearly it is a debit card?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JerBear01 

The only thing I can think of that could be causing the problem is that its a temporary debit card.

May need to speak with customer service about that:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or private message via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

"2) If not, then can I load my paypal visa debit card using cash as say Walmart, then that money will immediately show up on my paypal balance(?) once added to the PayPal specific debit card from Paypal and attached to my account, then can I use paypal balance to send money via paypal to another paypal account holder provided I have their email address (?)"

You can only load cash to your PayPal balance with the PayPal Cash debit MasterCard (or with the PayPal app) at a Walmart. Can't add funds to PayPal balance with a third party debit card. Once you've loaded cash to your PayPal balance, you can send money to friends and family with the PayPal balance to their email address.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.