My bank's default currency us USD but PayPal is wrongly charging me Somali Shilling exchange rates

jamaljama
Contributor
Contributor

My Bank's default currency is USD and it uses this same currency for cards. PayPal assumes my currency is SOS (Somali Shillings) which is not true, and is charging me extra exchange rate (although there is nothing to exchange since my bank's currency is USD). As a result I m losing a lot of money, about 3%.

Even worse, there is no way I can contact PayPal as they have disabled email and live support methods.

I feel cheated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Craig

Hi @jamaljama

Welcome to the Community! 

The primary currency of your PayPal account is the default payment currency unless you choose to use another currency. You can convert an existing currency balance to another currency before sending an amount.

To convert an existing balance to a different currency:

1. Go to Wallet.
  2. Next to the balance, you'd like to convert, click the three vertical dots.
  3. Click Convert currency.
  4. Make your currency selections. The latest exchange rate* is shown below the selection. (*This exchange rate includes PayPal's currency conversion fee.)
  5. Click Next.
  6. Review your selections and calculated exchange rate, then click Convert​.

You can also find all our available contact information by selecting the "Help and Contact" option at the bottom of your PayPal webpage. 

Hopefully, this helps! 

PayPal_Craig

Login to Me Too

jamaljama
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @PayPal_Craig for the response.

Unfortunately I do not seem to have those THREE dots in my account and the default currency selection is not enabled for my account.

Also the account currency account was USD before I updated my card which PayPal decided to set to SOS.

Thank you,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.