Money on hold

Samuiel90
New Community Member

Hi I've used ebay for years but recently made my own pay pal and used that for the first to sell something, and my payment is on hold and from what I can read its because I'm a new seller and they hold it till I get a good history? But doesn't say how much or what I need or how long that takes? Just seems a little harsh that I've sold my personal items and sent them to someone else to not receive the money 😑

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Samuiel90

Not harsh. PayPal wants to make sure the funds are there in case buyer files a dispute because recipients of payments are generally held liable if payment is later reversed or invalidated for any reason.

Funds are held up to 21 days.

Payment holds occur because:

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detatiled Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.

Depending on the circumstances, PayPal may hold payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.

Note that release of funds have nothing to do with you receiving feedback but if shipment tracking shows successful delivery nor any issues reported to PayPal via a dispute.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-get-my-paypal-payment-sooner-for-a-transaction-...

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-can-i-prevent-ebay-payments-going-to-my-pending-bala...

Also check eBay Help site for info on holds.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Samuiel90

Not harsh. PayPal wants to make sure the funds are there in case buyer files a dispute because recipients of payments are generally held liable if payment is later reversed or invalidated for any reason.

Funds are held up to 21 days.

Payment holds occur because:

• You have been selling on eBay for less than 90 days
  • You have an eBay feedback score fewer than 100 and have not yet established a record of good performance
  • You have received fewer than 20 Detatiled Seller Ratings on eBay in the last 12 months or your eBay seller performance is below standard
  • You have a high rate of customer disputes or a low eBay feedback percentage
  • You have been a PayPal member for less than 6 months and have limited selling activity
  • You have a sudden change in selling activities (e.g. suddenly selling expensive items, selling large numbers of items, etc.)
  • You happen to be selling in a high risk category such as tickets, travel, gift vouchers, computers, electronics, mobile phones, etc.

Depending on the circumstances, PayPal may hold payments for a single transaction or for all payments to sellers who meet the criteria above.

Note that release of funds have nothing to do with you receiving feedback but if shipment tracking shows successful delivery nor any issues reported to PayPal via a dispute.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-get-my-paypal-payment-sooner-for-a-transaction-...

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-can-i-prevent-ebay-payments-going-to-my-pending-bala...

Also check eBay Help site for info on holds.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Samuiel90
New Community Member
Appreciate that! Thank you more or less wanted to know how long and understand why they did it, I didn't read terms and conditions of selling with pay pal which I know it will state this so my own fault, thank you
Login to Me Too

joeyhere
New Community Member

I feel like this sight is a rip off. Money is held entirely too long. I tried to confirm it was shipped but the system would not accept it. Sight said "our system is encountering problems". They have my credit card AND my bank info, why do they need my frickin money yet too!?

Login to Me Too

Lewis_ross
My first time using o Pay pal item was sent money was sent transferred it to my pay pal MasterCard no problems. Now money is on my pay pal says avalabile but can't n transfer it, can't pull it out and any of the places it says and when I call and ask why, pay pal says to contact pay pal MasterCard. And pay pal MasterCard say to contact pay pal. They leave me on hold up to 40 minutes last time trying to figure why I can't get my money. What can I do to get a sealers history?
Login to Me Too

Sandraovc
Contributor
Contributor
Rip off??? It's f.... **bleep** taken. I am a new seller, was waiting 90 days etc, thought finally can sell without any issues and payments will clear straight away. I wish, now PayPal is holding payments. The most ridiculous part is that on the email they send each time someone pays: 'We've placed the funds on hold because we believe this transaction may involve a higher risk than usual' Are they for real???? Is all the same ? Same type of goods, everything from eBay etc. This is just so so annoying!!!!!!
Login to Me Too

Madeira-Jon
Contributor
Contributor

...." I tried to confirm it was shipped but the system would not accept it."  I have the same problem.  I also had person to person written chat to paypal and was assured that I my funds would be released.  Paypal still has my money!  I had to change my email address as Paypal couldn't recognise my old one !  Another website problem.  I am sick of this farce.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Callie

Hello @Madeira-Jon

I am sorry if you are running into issues receiving your money. If your money is still on hold, we'd want to take a closer look into this. To avoid sharing personal information over a public forum, I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Service support through either Facebook or Twitter. If you don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can always go to the bottom of any PayPal page and click "Help" or "Contact." 

- Callie 

Login to Me Too

Syahfieqa
Talk with fb is talk with a robot. Its cant understand simple instruction.
Login to Me Too

eggintheburbs
New Community Member

I've got the exact same problem and the item wasn't posted, the guy came and collected.  Its all marked as shipped and feedback left from both sides but its £400 and I don't particularly want to wait 21 days for the money - its towards the wedding fund.  The reason I said paypal was because I didn't want a load of dodgy £20 and thought this would be more secure.

Do you know a way of getting it released early?  I've sold loads of stuff on eBay before but not a few years.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.