Money on hold

Samuiel90
New Community Member

Hi I've used ebay for years but recently made my own pay pal and used that for the first to sell something, and my payment is on hold and from what I can read its because I'm a new seller and they hold it till I get a good history? But doesn't say how much or what I need or how long that takes? Just seems a little harsh that I've sold my personal items and sent them to someone else to not receive the money 😑

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eggintheburbs 

You should never use paypal for an item that is to be collected or personally delivered as you have 0 seller protection.

Your buyer can collect the item and then file a dispute for non receipt of item. As you would have no tracking number to prove delivery of the item to him then you would lose the dispute.

That is why Ebay give you the option of 'cash on collection' and you can state in your decription that that is the only payment you will accept. If a buyer pays with Paypal then you are allowed to refund that payment and re-state 'cash on collection'.

That way you have cash in hand / no wait / no fee / no risk of a dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

scancym

I had to create a personal PayPal account because a friend from another country transferred a payment for a job I did. However, the payment was for 300 dollars and PayPal automatically charged 15 dollars, and still has my money on hold. I think this is completely unfair. I've read I need to start building a transaction history but how do they expect me to buy anything when they have my funds on hold - and still charge for this service?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@scancym 

Its down to how the payment was SENT to your account.

1. If they sent using money > goods / services option then paypal would see you as a seller and apply the new seller hold. They would also charge you a fee.

2. If they had sent using the send money > family / friends option then you would have had the payment instantly with no fee. (However that option is not available in every country).

Info on new seller hold below...

https://www.paypal.com/mx/smarthelp/article/FAQ3236

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hapinest
New Community Member
Thank you! I didn’t know you could do that. I will never accept PayPal for a pickup again. My money still on hold as customer doesn’t know how to use his phone!
Login to Me Too

CarlaSoriano
Contributor
Contributor
I’m not a seller of any tangible things. I cannot provide a tracking number or a shipping information. I’m a virtual assistant and I delivered my service. How can I get my money sooner? Please help.
Login to Me Too

Tina_Marie68
Contributor
Contributor

When you find out I would like to know.  The buyer of the service has not confirmed it and may not know how.

Login to Me Too

John-M2
New Community Member
I was asked to provide a tracking number well after the the item had been sent and received, I did this as requested but still my money is on hold ,
Login to Me Too

BalloonBuzz

We have been using Paypal Account for years, 22nd July onwards all sales money has been "ON HOLD". I already put shipping information but still its ON HOLD. We are selling balloons product + service shipped with our own vechile so we dont really have tracking no. Our clients are getting confuse and stress whether are they paid or not because the fund is still in their account and they want the product to be deliver on time a schedule. We need to get the money without any delay as delivery will be on the next day itself

Login to Me Too

BrianHast
Contributor
Contributor

It is absolutely harsh. There are enough scammy buyers out there now that are abusing the new system.

The feedback system is there for a reason - it works/worked. If you side with the buyers on EVERY transaction and PayPal holds the funds, it leaves the system ripe for buyer fraud and the system fails. I have been selling on eBay and using PayPal for over 20 years - I won't sell on eBay if PayPal is going to decide to police my funds. 

Login to Me Too

Meri8020
Contributor
Contributor
Bravo!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.